Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nottingham-based beginner

Master and MR

Re: Nottingham-based beginner

Quote Originally Posted by alans220 View Post
    Hi daz h, no thats not me, not heard of the formula one running club, are they local?

al
    sorry mate , yes they are notts based and have a couple of fellrunners in your age bracket im sure
    i will find out and report back

At a lot of the local fellraces I spot one or two vests of Notts based clubs, never enough for a crowd though! Always nice to see a local vest when you pop off to do Borrowdale or something. You'll find a fellrunner in most of the Notts clubs, but they're a pretty rare breed. I can't really speak for other clubs, but for our lot (Holme Pierrepont) we don't get to do any fell training as such, we're too far from any significant hills for normal club nights. In the winter we're pretty much restricted to road running on club nights, but it's more interesting in the summer. With so many races practically on the doorstep in the Peak District throughout the summer there's plenty to go at.

We have had enough interest in the past to field a team for things like the FRA relays and the Calderdale Way relay, though we can't always get enough for a team, and have also done non-fell trail stuff like Rochdale Canal and Rotherham Round.

We've others who tend to concentrate on LDWA style events too if you don't want the severity of the hills! Plug over!

Nottingham City Harriers are a small group of runners from several clubs, some of them do fell running.

Lightbulb Re: Nottingham-based beginner

Thanks for the many tips, and the coaching notes page. Not sure what I'll do about a club yet.

Going to do the Charnwood Hills in a couple of weeks, which was good last year. Also due to sign up for the Grindleford Gallop with some people at work, though we won't be running the whole thing.

I also run up to Mapperley plains for hill sessions. For my longer runs I go around the ring road on a Sunday am when there are not so many car fumes. Might start going further afield on my bike to somewhere with more grass now though.

Will try and get to the Newlands Race this year, and poss. some in Lancashire. My folks live not far from Ashurst Beacon and Rivington, so it would be a good excuse to go up.

On an entirely unrelated note, I notice that the 4 inns is not listed by the FRA. Is this for any particular reason?

Oh yes...and at the risk of sounding really thick, what does 'no safety pins' mean? That I am not allowed to wear them for health and safety reasons, or that they won't be available at the start?

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by critchleywitchley View Post
    Thanks for the many tips, and the coaching notes page. Not sure what I'll do about a club yet.

Going to do the Charnwood Hills in a couple of weeks, which was good last year. Also due to sign up for the Grindleford Gallop with some people at work, though we won't be running the whole thing.

I also run up to Mapperley plains for hill sessions. For my longer runs I go around the ring road on a Sunday am when there are not so many car fumes. Might start going further afield on my bike to somewhere with more grass now though.

Will try and get to the Newlands Race this year, and poss. some in Lancashire. My folks live not far from Ashurst Beacon and Rivington, so it would be a good excuse to go up.

On an entirely unrelated note, I notice that the 4 inns is not listed by the FRA. Is this for any particular reason?

Oh yes...and at the risk of sounding really thick, what does 'no safety pins' mean? That I am not allowed to wear them for health and safety reasons, or that they won't be available at the start?
    mate it means that none are provided, no worries

david

Quote Originally Posted by critchleywitchley View Post
    Oh yes...and at the risk of sounding really thick, what does 'no safety pins' mean? That I am not allowed to wear them for health and safety reasons
    Yes, it was a rule introduced a couple of years ago after some nasty pierced nipple incidents .

[quote=critchleywitchley;98492]Thanks for the many tips, and the coaching notes page. Not sure what I'll do about a club yet.
    quote]
    We Live in Leicestershire and are members of Bowland FR with loads of family in Lancashire - spend lots of time on the road but get to the lakes or wales at least twice a month if you want a lift. also do some of the Ambergate short runs
    W
    When all else fails and your soul needs a lift - head to the hills