Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: National 6 & 4 stage

National 6 & 4 stage

I've had an email appeal sent to me and also on NoEAA website there is an appeal for marshalls otherwise the event will be cancelled. Ths also applies to Sunday's Young Athletes relays.

Here at Witton we put on 2 league fixtures for XC, + town schools. We hosted a Northerns. We expect to have to get marshalls ourselves for this, and we are grateful for one or two locals from other clubs that offer to share the burden but would never commit to it if we felt we could not manage.

I will be going on Saturday with our 6 stage team, to team manage, maybe with 1 supporter.

Am I alone in thinking that whoever pitched to host the event should not have done so without the appropriate resources?

Afterall, I have just been with our club to the FRA relays, it was well organised, and I am sure that Bowland pitched for this event knowing that they could cover it.

Just interested in your opinions.

Re: National 6 & 4 stage

The event is organised by the ERRA, not a region or specific club although I'd guess that Midland Counties do a lot of the work. The marshalling for the relays in Sutton Park (12 stage and 6 satge) is by and large done by Midland clubs. Maybe a few Northern & Southern clubs should start offering to help organise the event if they want it to continue. Or maybe they should find another venue and offer to host it?

I doubt there are many more local councils who do more for grass roots sports events such as this than Birmingham City Council. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Many people from many clubs supported the FRA relays. If the road relays are to survive perhaps the same ethos needs to apply.

You forgot to mention that clubs get paid for providing marshalls which doesn't happen at the FRA relays.

I agree with what you say - just trying to stimulate debate. We had no issues with NoEAA or NW Relays. The NW Relays rotate around Merseyside, GM, Cheshire and Lancs.
    When it was Lancs turn, the Lancs AA played a part with Blackpool at Stanley Park, and we were asked to help. We provided marshalls.
    At NoEAA level, I have only been involved with the XC, but we as host were assisted and supported by Lancs AA and NoEAA.
    I would have expected that Sutton Park was similar. Maybe the local marshalls are asked to do too many, and it is time that the event was moved around. Two fixtures in two days is also an issue 4 fixtures in 3 weeks as well.
    It would be a shame, as the venue is perfect, and the location is workable for all to get to.

I'd love to see the event moved around because frankly I'm bored of running round Sutton Park! One of the difficulties is that there are few venues in the country that could host this type of event. Sunderland in '94 was the last time the mens event was held away from Sutton, but that was before mens and womens were held on the same day so less numbers were involved.

Don't know about other regions, but Heaton Park, Stanley Park and perhaps Sefton Park could be OK.
    Even the sea front at Blackpool!

Having said that I do like Sutton Park. The course is great and it's central for all.

Let the National Relay events move round the country.
    All courses will have technical problems. Take Heaton Park, Manchester. If the weather is fine, even at this time of year it will be busy on a saturday. But the route choice would be great, with fast sections and a few hills.
    @roadrunneraj #gohardorgohome

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Don't know about other regions, but Heaton Park, Stanley Park and perhaps Sefton Park could be OK.
    Even the sea front at Blackpool!

Having said that I do like Sutton Park. The course is great and it's central for all.
    Heaton park deffo not christ last time they had it there the fair was in town it was the biggest laugh trying to dodge people
    Track rules

That was the 12 stage Saints Lad. National 6 stge is in October and the fair wont be there. The paths are wide enough and there is ample parking. Plus there are lots of local clubs to help with marshalling.
    @roadrunneraj #gohardorgohome

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    That was the 12 stage Saints Lad. National 6 stge is in October and the fair wont be there. The paths are wide enough and there is ample parking. Plus there are lots of local clubs to help with marshalling.
    so it was roadie all the best for the marathon if i dont see you before
    Track rules

Looked as though it was a good race

1 Belgrave 1.44.30
    2 Leeds 1.45.20
    3 Newham 1.45.55

Forumites that ran sorry if i missed any

Track Fairy 17.43
    Bisto 17.43
    Oxo 17.46
    Bone 17.36