Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tigger Tor

Tigger Tor

I'm aware that the route might be different this year, but I've decided to go and reccy last year's route. I want to make sure I get it at least vaugely right....

7) Higger Tor North Summit 257802

I'm confused by this GR's given on the internet last year - checkpoint 7 is listed as "Higger Tor North Summit", but the reference points to somewhere nearer Owler Tor. Given that this would mean a very dangerous road crossing (twice), I assume that the real location is 257822, meaning a return up to Higger Tor? That would make more sense.

If it was 257822, does anyone know what the sensible return route to Houndkirk Hill is? I'd assume it would be dropping back down past Carl Wark, over the bridge and back up to Houndkirk Road, but I wonder if I'm missing a cleverer route?

If everyone does drop back to Carl Wark, aren't there traffic problems with people running in the other direction?

Hope you can help, I'm bad at map reading!

We went up Higger Tor twice last year. From what I can remember you drop straight down the steep side of Higger Tor, cross the river, head back towards Houndkirk road then over Houndkirk Moor back to Totley.

I am hoping this years course will change as that double loop was a bit tedious

Ta Bob, just finished the reccy and I hated it There is something soul destroying about doing circuits!

Rich, if you want a jpg of the route downloaded from my GPS last year, just PM your e-mail address to me and I'll whizz it over to you. I haven't found how to post it on the forum at reasonable resolution.

I would hold fire on doing any reccying especially of last years route until the checkpoints are put on the Totley Website. Pillow talk with Padomay (she of Totley AC) has revealed the route may include the Ox Stones this year.

I don't like knocking race organisers because without them we'd all be stuffed but I can't understand why this race doesn't go over to Stanage Edge and around there. Its a 10mile race and it seems a little contrived to be constantly going backwards and forwards across Burbage Brook. Guess its down to marshals/road crossing etc?

Agree - the obvious choice would be over to Stanage Edge, Stanage Pole, White Stones, Rud Hill, Ox Stones and Houndkirk Moor - the problem with this for the marshalls I suppose is getting people safely over Ringinglow Road
    'Too much sitting is ruining my body'

Didn't the route change a few years ago because of erosion / permission problems? It used to go out to Stanage but I do get slightly confused between this route and the DPFR Burbage race, which one used to ascend the Higger Tor plumet?

The old route used to turn up the cairns path from Houndkirk straight down to the Packhorse Bridge, up and over Higger to Stanage, round Stanage Trig to Upper Burbage Bridge, down the valley, up the Plummet to the top of Higger then back the way you came.

The Burbage race has always gone down the Plummet and always will whilst I'm in charge.

Re: Tigger Tor

just been to totley ac website and details and entry forms are available