Thread: Tendon soreness, lower calf

Tendon soreness, lower calf

Anyone experienced soreness of the tendon that runs down the inside leg midway between the bottom of the calf and ankle bone? When you push on the area it is like pushing on a bruise and is very sore, similar sensation whilst walking also. Calf muscle not tight and no probs from achilles, just this area. As usual I guess rest and application of ointment combined with stretches although no stretches cause any pain from the area, all leg muscle groups seem fine??

Re: Tendon soreness, lower cal

Hi Ady
    Sometimes, the Achilles, will not show pain at the epicentre and can show pain above or below the site. how do i know? i had the same for a year that ended up with the Achilles being stripped. Often showed first thing in morning????
    Going to try again....

Ady, sounds very similar to what I've had for the last 3 or 4 weeks. Although I wouldn't say it hurts when I push it. For the first couple of weeks I really noticed it going up and down stairs. Just can't seem to shift it

Achilles tendonitis can be felt in lots of places above the heel area. After each run, dunk your legs in a bucket of cold water for as long as you can manage. Get a good book. Sorted my tendonitis. Came back from a run last year only to find I had been locked out (as you do), so sat in the garden with me plates in bucket. Pissing down with rain. Neighbours must have thought I was bonkers. Sorted the tendonitis but the hypothermia nearly killed me .
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Thanks for that Grouse; sounds like a possible solution. I definitely have the same problem and first thing in the mornings, especially walking up and down stairs, it can be very noticeable.

It seems to be easing a little now so may try a run tommoz evening - weird though as is very localised and feels amost like a bone that is the sore point as opposed to a tendon - have been told it may be a guider..?

After 1/4 of a mile the calf muscle tightened up and I walked back
    I suspect the tendons are still inflamed and when they warmed up they pushed onto the calf muscle causing the tightness. Will just have to have a week or 2 off and see how it goes - bummer!

Don't mess with leg injuries Ady ~ just get them sorted at the physio, a sports physio.

I wasted 2 months last winter by not going to the physio straight away. I did what you did and kept on trying to run but it only prolonged the injury. You might think that 20 quid or so is a lot of money but when you consider that a couple of sessions will get you back on the fells again it is well worth it. What starts as a lower leg injury could actually be caused by something higher up the leg without you even knowing it. A good physio will give you some pain but you'll be back on the mend in no time. Do it.
    See the light in the night

i have had a very similar problem - went to see the physio tonight and she thought it was deep tissue damage to the calf. She said that this type of pain was often misdiagnosed as something to do with shin splint hence badly treated. She suggested, massage, a warm press (not ice) and some exercises that i have no idea how to explain to others.

Have to say it feels a hell of a lot better now - off for run )so could be back on in an hour or so regretting that statement!)