Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amsterdam to Telford

Amsterdam to Telford

After finishing my sentence in Amsterdam after 5 months hard labour I am taking a new position in Telford.

Hopefully there will be more hills to train on than in Amsterdam. I hope to be able to get off-road in the evening when it gets a bit lighter.

I have never been to Telford. I think it is a new town like Milton Keynes. Any Telfordonians ??? on the forum?

Re: Amsterdam to Telford

Aye Johnnybike, one here! Well, sort of just outside Telford.

Possibilities for hilly running;

The Wrekin....in Telford (well Wellington to be precise!), plenty of hilly running and several fell races of varying length on it, Can easily make up a 1.5hr & 2500ft run.

The Long Mynd....soooo many possibilities. Lots of fell races. Mercia Fellrunners meet over there on a Tuesday night and possibly Sunday morning. Just been over there for a nearly 3 hour run today

Stretton hills....some lovely hills on the other side of the valley from the Mynd.

Stiperstones....just over the other side of the Mynd, some great running and a GREAT pub to park at and retire to after your run

Welsh hills....not a million miles away and endless possibilities from rough wild places like the Arenigs, Berwyns etc through to popular Snowdonia hills.

Certainly think you'll find it more to your liking than Amsterdam (as far as hills go anyway!!)
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

Telford is nothing like Milton Keynes. Telford is a borough made up of small towns, pit villages, some large modern council estates and pretty countryside, with a local authority concreting it all over at a ridiculous rate.
    It's certainly not flat, and most town routes are well lit. Surrounding countryside is lovely. Kids on the estates tend to be noisy rather than really threatening (well that was the case last Thursday).
    when you move over, come and have a run with Telford Harriers we're a pretty good bunch (in the interests of fair advertising, there are other clubs in the area )
    btw mr 1470 - I have posted up your email suggesting Wellington is in telford, in the market square at Wellington, together with your picture. Ooh you're so dead you are ...

Aha, I KNOW who you are Alfie

Didn't think johnnybike would be ready for the full history and make-up of Telford and surrounding areas just yet!! To all intents and purposes, to us "outsiders", it's all just part of Telford

Have noted the need to avoid Wellington for a while

blog

One local area to avoid during the winter months - Ironbridge gorge. Unless you've got a coracle. It's currently under several ft of the River Severn!
    Have to be honest last time I was in Milton Keynes it was very city-like. Couldn't see ANY hills there though.
    btw Mr1470 my fellow Wellingtonians appear to have erected a Wicker Man, near Stead & Simpsons, in your honour. They will come for you, when it's dark..

Thanks all. Mr1470, that info looks really useful. Should be sorting out a start date tomorrow but I am looking forward to it.

Ace!

I'm finally moving out of the South-East and will be heading towards Shrewsbury in the spring. It's taken a major career change but we're on our way! Sounds like it's really good running in the area. My wife's from Shrewsbury and we've gone to stay with in-laws loads of times. I love the countryside!

I'm looking to join a club with good weeknight/weekend training sessions and which is active in local cross country leagues as well as fell races. I've narrowed the choice down to Mercia Fell Runners or Shropshire Shufflers. Any advice?

Cheers,

Rob

Good luck for the move Rob....a good choice

Well, of the two you've mentioned;

i) Mercia - not a "club" in the traditional sense. From what I know, a mixture of 2nd claimers and hardened fellrunners. Certainly don't get involved in x-country.

ii) Shropshire Shufflers - I think there are one or two get involved in the fellrunning. Not aware that they do x-country but could be wrong on that.

If you're set on finding a club in Shrewsbury, then Shrewsbury AC have some good fellrunners and take part in x-country. They are also a track-running club as well.

If you're prepared to travel slightly further afield, Telford has 3 clubs. I'll only comment on Telford Harriers ('cause I'm a member!). A very friendly bunch with runners of all abilities although we tend not to be "elite"...whatever than means!! The club takes part in 2 x-country leagues and several members take part in fell races. Training Tues/Thurs evenings and informal meets almost every weekend both on-road(for marathon training etc) and off-road.

I'm sure Alfie will back me up on this

Anything else you want to know, please don't hesitate to ask.

blog

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Bob View Post
    Ace! I'm finally moving ... towards Shrewsbury in the spring.
    Good choice.

It has been claimed that cross country running was invented in Shrewsbury.

I do like Roger Robinson's description of running in its infancy:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hound Book, Shrewsbury School, C1831
    The Shrewsbury School principal, the eminent classicist Dr. Benjamin Kennedy, tried to make rules about where the lads could run. But, the Hound Book records, "as stolen fruit is always the sweetest, we determined to . . . revive the good old custom of running out of bounds. " They vaulted hedges, enraged an irascible miller, defied farmers, chased off their dogs and ran, often wide-eyed, down the secluded road that the Hound Book calls Fornicators Lane. Dr. Kennedy tried making them wear mortarboards as they ran, locked their dormitories and stood out in the cold to take the names of those breaking bounds (they whooped by on the other side of the hedge). Once, they reported, "Ben nabbed the scent bag. " With an eloquent gesture of reprisal they shredded copies of his recently published Kennedy's Latin Primer and dropped the tatters as paper trail. "Frantic but fruitless" was how they described his efforts to undo the damage.
    Can you please check and confirm that Fornicators Lane is still used for its named purpose?
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Quote Originally Posted by XRunner View Post
    Can you please check and confirm that Fornicators Lane is still used for its named purpose?
    I don't know of that lane I'm afraid and suspect that I never have

However, there is still a Grope Lane in the town centre and I might well have

blog