Thread: (Sub)Urban Night Running

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs up (Sub)Urban Night Running

Not quite the 'wilderness' experience of running/biking across the moors, but running by headtorch around suburban woodland trails is great and feels more remote than during the daylight hours.

The first of the season was last night and we really confused a pair of drunks: "It's a car!" & "You should uzzzze yer horn next time!".

We were then confused by a herd of escaped cows' eyes lighting up in the torchlight

Night running seems more spooky than night biking as you've not got the option of high speed escape from the funny noises...

Re: (Sub)Urban Night Running

I wonder what people made of my ghostly figure loping in the twilight across the flat expanse of the battlefield of Marston Moor last spring.
    Actually if one were to fall into one of the deep drainage dikes and sprain an ankle it might be just as serious maybe as coming a cropper up on the moors.

I was wont to run along a disused railway line near Spofforth at night without bothering with a headtorch and when I ran into the cutting I experienced a significant element of frisson. Imagining phantom locomotives with eyeless engine drivers I tended to pick up speed.

Once when I came out of the cutting into a landscape bathed in the light of the full moon I sensed something at my left shoulder. Glancing sideways I saw something or [someone] nodding at me . I picked up speed and ran the 3K back to the lights of the village at well in excess of a personal best. I pulled up with savage cramp with a 100 metres to go and was convinced I'd given myself a serious calf strain.
    Do you reckon spooky night running is perhaps good for cardio vascular fitness with the increase in heart rate due to being scared witless.
    "I am not a number! I am a free man!"

The SW night runners will be venturing forth tomorrow evening for the first time - watch out for in depth coverage (if I can be bothered!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Guick Dotto View Post
    Glancing sideways I saw something or [someone] nodding at me . I picked up speed and ran the 3K back to the lights of the village at well in excess of a personal best.
    Haha. It's a weird feeling being out alone like that. It's as if your hearing gets much more sensitive and you notice everything.

I reckon we'll have to run some 'proper' trails at night soon.

I went back to the spot where I'd seen the apparition. It was a rosebay willowherb stalk, about 80cm tall with a mass of fluffy white seeds on top (the hair).
    Phew!
    or was it....?
    "I am not a number! I am a free man!"