Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Dunnerdale Fell Race

Fellhound

Re: Dunnerdale Fell Race

The course has a bit of everything - a proper Lakeland Horseshoe in miniature.

Pehaps a bit too much road at the beginning and (less so) at the end but the section on the gnarly little fells is pure magic.

was looking forward to running dunnerdale again great little race, but looks as though im gona have to miss it due to a bad back not run for a week or so now. :thunbdown:
    recceied it only a couple of weeks ago though so have got my yearly run round. hopefully it il be right for pendle.

Quote Originally Posted by Luv Shack View Post
    It's very secret, especially in dense clagg!
    (KFR Champs Race!!!!!)
    Strange how these things go.....
    If all goes to plan I'll be there again tomorrow....
    With a smile & a few tears too..
    Such is life...and we really are the very lucky ones...

(Massed ranks of Pennine have been spotted fleeing this corner of the The Peak )
    Miss Muddy Paws Dad....
    Not clever & often stupid..

Banned

Just as a matter of interest how many climbs and descents are there in the race please?

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Just as a matter of interest how many climbs and descents are there in the race please?
    FOUR significant climbs although the fifth on the road up to the Finish field is as painful as any.
    The first has about a half mile on the road (and hurts) then up the Knott mainly walking (under 10 mins on fell) . Gentle descent for 2 mins then jog/walk for 10 mins uphill. 5 min descent mainly soft but some rocks. Jump the beck then walk/jog 3mins uphill to the road (about halfway). From road sharp climb jog/walk to Stickle Pike (up to 10 mins). Descend sharply off S Pike back to good path (1 min), then easy descent then across bog area. Usually takes less than 10 mins to Great Stickle (last peak) from S Pike. Tricky descent (flagged) for 3-4 mins to fell gate. Good tracks back to valley (1x30 sec ascent). Then half mile on road which seems more painful than it should.

As you can see, none of the climbs are significant BUT they hurt a lot cos runners tend to go as fast as they can.
    Its my training area and those times relate to back of the pack timings (my wife) but offer some sort of guide. Front of the pack timings make the hills read like hillocks. Winner does it usually under 40 mins, back of pack 90 ish mins.

four, the 1st being the longest / hardest it starts on the road, the next three are short easy climbs although the 3rd climb is short its steep for the last 200 yrds its the only hands on knees bit. O nearly forgot about the up hill finish on the road best make that four and a harf!
    as fellhound says just a tad to much road but still a cracking little route.

you beat me to it alf.
    Last edited by Woodzy; 09-11-2012 at 10:24 PM.

Banned

Thanks Gents.
    60 to 65 mins for me then based on the above info and winners projected times.
    See you tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Thanks Gents.
    60 to 65 mins for me then based on the above info and winners projected times.
    See you tomorrow.
    Cracking race.. packs a lot in..

I felt surprisingly good, couldn't descend for toffee but first proper fell race in months.. thinK i was ~ 45 minutes, 7th.

Carl Bell won, John Brown second, another ambleside I think third, Danny Hope 4th, Mark Roberts 5th, Hugh OD, 6th, Me 7th, Al Fowler 8th.. not sure on the rest.. I think that was the order anyway, but things may have changed towards the end...

Pretty close at the front.
    Last edited by IainR; 10-11-2012 at 04:29 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post

I felt surprisingly good, couldn't descend for toffee but first proper fell race in months.. thinK i was ~ 45 minutes, 7th.

Carl Bell won, John Brown second, another ambleside I think third, Danny Hope 4th, Mark Roberts 5th, Hugh OD, 6th, Me 7th, Al Fowler 8th.. not sure on the rest.. I think that was the order anyway, but things may have changed towards the end...

Stagger 59.58 so sub 1 hour. Happy as Larry.
    Same problem as Iain though my descending was poor but two out of three route gambles paid off and one was a loser.

Thanks to organiser and all his helpers on route and the end, you made it into a great day.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post

Danny Hope was 2nd ahead of the AAC guys. Possibly the slowest winning time at Dunnerdale, in very sloppy conditions.