Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Dunnerdale Fell Race

Re: Dunnerdale Fell Race

Quote Originally Posted by Theolneywayisup View Post
    Going back to original question then, what is the terrain like? I assume usual Lakeland mix, although there seems a reasonable amount of decent running towards the end once you've lost height - says the ever hopeful ex road runner!
    I'd describe the terrain as 'troublesome' personally, but i've never done it on a dry day. The area is very craggy and dotted with bogs, some bigger than others; both desents are rough in places with the one off CP2 needing extra care if you want to go fast. A good line off Stickle Pike will reward the brave, looking at the BC Runners' map you will see it advises competitors to double back, but you need to be sure footed and committed. There is a short cut round the eastern side of the bog below Great Stickle, crossing the head of the beck at the break of slope and delivering you at the base of the climb. If you cut accross early the bog will swallow you up but if you get it right it's faster. It's a real treat of a race.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Banned

You've just talked me into it Mr B

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    An ambleside runner told me recently this was the best short race around.. so fancied doing it at some point.. looks to pack a lot into 5 miles...

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    You're more than capable Trev, i might be giving it a miss after i did my ankle 3 weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    An ambleside runner told me recently this was the best short race around.. so fancied doing it at some point.. looks to pack a lot into 5 miles...
    I'm always gasping a bit by the last descent. I always plan to go off the last peak like a scalded rat and get some places back, but the multiple ascents always rob you of pace. It also finishes with an uphill road run. That said, i've not done a better FRA short personally.

Anyone who's not been before should observe the parking procedures, as i believe competitors are now prohibited from parking beyond the Blacksmith's Arms. It also pays to park facing the A593 to Broughton-in-Furness, as this is the way everyone leaves and passing is difficult due to the road mostly being down to one car's width to allow parking on one side. Areas to be left clear for passing and local access will be taped.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Troublesome is a great description of the two descents, well it is for me with my problem knees ! Great little race though, one of the best short races in the calendar. The Dunnerdale fells are certainly The Lake Districts best kept secret. I don't know anywhere else in the country as beautiful where you can go out and not see another single soul. The views are tremendous and the route options for training/walking are great. Highly recommended.

Loved this race last year and am very much looking forward to it again this year.

I'm bringing a car full of Clayton runners. Looking forward to it again ~ especially the beer and the atmosphere in the pub afterwards. Let's hope for a decent forecast.
    See the light in the night

Pennine club champs race again, so there'll be a crowd of us up for the weekend.

Always look forward to this one - either racing or watching.

I'll be there and the MMM on Sunday with the BOFRA do at Ingleton inbetween

I'm really looking forward to this as it's my 30th birthday on Saturday (I couldn't think of anything better to do!) and my family and I are hopefully going to have lunch at the Blacksmiths after, I know I will be hungry even after the pie! It's my first fell race in Cumbria, even though I used to live locally, coming down from Edinburgh. Looking forward to seeing everyone there! :thumbup:

Matt