Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Thread: Dunnerdale Fell Race

Quote Originally Posted by Croberts View Post
    I've just entered as well, its in the Ambleside club champs this year. Not raced it before but recently did the Cumbrian Traverse which goes over the first two summits before heading to Caw. Seems nice and runnable which is how I like it.
    Nice and runnable would be one way to describe it, piss wet through and blowing a howler would be another. It's an uncomplicated route; there's a descent about one mile in that you want to make the most of, as a lot of people just freewheel down it.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Entries still open, 320 entered, with Helm and Ambleside running all of their members by the looks of it.

Not sure if i'm in PB form. I think it will be the flat section on the way to the final CP that will make or break it; i could easily gain time there.

Just looked up the route and I've realised that I thought it went the other way round! Luckily it looks like I should be able to follow someone else as early weather forecast is ok for Saturday, breezy but dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Croberts View Post
    Just looked up the route and I've realised that I thought it went the other way round! Luckily it looks like I should be able to follow someone else as early weather forecast is ok for Saturday, breezy but dry.
    Take a map, it's required at kit check, they may have a few printed up.

The only route choices are coming off stickle pike, there is a backdoor way off that avoids the trod up, but in previous years i've found it a bit craggy and slow.

I'm totally convinced the direct route off stickle pike is slower, you're just constantly hampered by crags and 1m drops. The old way off where you backtrack down the trod a bit and go right is faster, I remember it from years previous.

Cheers to the BC runners guys today, weather wasn't ideal, a bit too bright and a bit too warm. The low sun was blinding you for half the race and made running at speed awkward, rocks not always easy to spot.

I need to get back up some time and scrutinise the course for alternate lines. I want to find a more direct drop off the CP at ravens crag, and a potential alternative route down to the road. The main descent to the road is so congested and I'm not fast enough over the preceding section to get in front of the stampede off. Plus I need an alternative off stickle pike, as mentioned.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    I'm totally convinced the direct route off stickle pike is slower, you're just constantly hampered by crags and 1m drops. The old way off where you backtrack down the trod a bit and go right is faster, I remember it from years previous.

Cheers to the BC runners guys today, weather wasn't ideal, a bit too bright and a bit too warm. The low sun was blinding you for half the race and made running at speed awkward, rocks not always easy to spot.

I need to get back up some time and scrutinise the course for alternate lines. I want to find a more direct drop off the CP at ravens crag, and a potential alternative route down to the road. The main descent to the road is so congested and I'm not fast enough over the preceding section to get in front of the stampede off. Plus I need an alternative off stickle pike, as mentioned.
    I see what you mean about the low sun - it makes analysing the terrain jolly tricky.

Great race and good day for it, really enjoyed it. Managed to be fairly near the front at the start so didnt get too boxed in, was 34th at first checkpoint and didnt change much after that to end up 33rd at the finish. The sun was tricky on the way back at times making it difficult to see the lines/rocks.

I took the a fairly direct line off of Stickle Pike and managed to get ahead of 2 people who went further back so I am not sure what is the quickest route, definitely would have been useful to have recced that section.

Again on the last descent I took the main route and was lucky to not have anyone slower in front. Somebody did seem to take a slightly higher line and come out in front of me there as well, though they are faster than me in general and had been boxed in at the start and making up places all race.

Will definitely be doing it again at some point, though not quite as runnable as I thought it might be from looking at the map.