Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Dunnerdale Fell Race

Re: Dunnerdale hits the headli

I agree. Low key, balanced, sane.

A pleasure to read, actually.

Especially as my Fellrunner hasn't arrived yet.

fb
    The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak...

Tony Vardy

Re: Dunnerdale hits the headli

It looks like we have some friends in the media giving a good balance to some of the recent hysteria.

So that's what the new Helm Hill vest looks like. I bet Timo is kicking himself now! He could have had one of them.
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

Dunnerdale Fell Race

I'm going to have a go at this one. I've never done a short, sharp, serious fell race before. My only short race experience extends to Roaches Fell Race and Staffordshire Moorlands Christmas Cracker (I usually restrict myself to ultras where I can go nice and slow ). Can any veterans out there advise me on what to expect / how to prepare?

Thanks in advance.
    Nick.

Re: Dunnerdale Fell Race

Get there early. Parking is difficult and you might be parked a long way from the race start.

I recall it as a series of quite sharp short hills but good, fast, runnable terrain.

I think after a run down tarmac it goes up a narrow, stony lane so don't dawdle at the back.

Mr Brentnall told me it was one of the best races in the Calendar and since I won the V60 in 2008 would I disagree..?
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 06-11-2009 at 12:14 AM.

It's a classic Lakeland mini horseshoe with a fast downhill tarmac start followed by shortish climbs over 3 peaks with some good descending over rough grassy / rocky ground. The highest of the 3 peaks is 375m so you'll be finished in well inder the hour.

Starts and finishes at the village hall where a welcome dish of pie & peas is waiting for you at the finish. Then wash it down with a nice pint in the Blacksmiths Arms next door.

Get there early as it's usually well attended and car parking is limited to narrrow lanes if the farmers field is wet. Try to car share if poss.

Best of luck !
    See the light in the night

Thanks guys. Any navigational issues - do I need to take a copy of the map supplied plus a compass, or is it just a case of follow the people in front?

I'm not sure about finishing in well under the hour, mapper. I'll have to wait and see how it turns out

I'm envious - lovely bit of the lakes that, great pub, pie & peas, if the train wasn't £80 I'd be up there.

Master and MR

The parking can be a problem but its a cracking race
    Should be quite a few from from Pennine up there

Senior Member No map, no compass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BritNick View Post
    Thanks guys. Any navigational issues - do I need to take a copy of the map supplied plus a compass, or is it just a case of follow the people in front?
    Er, its a fell race, what do you think...?

Quote Originally Posted by BritNick View Post
    Any navigational issues - do I need to take a copy of the map supplied plus a compass, or is it just a case of follow the people in front?
    It potentially is a nightmare for navigating... by all means follow the folk in front; chances are they will not a have a clue where they are, no idea where they are going and most likely already lost.
    Why walk when you can run.