Page 68 of 69 FirstFirst ... 185866676869 LastLast

Thread: Fellrunner Magazine

Another enjoyable magazine.

It's obviously a beautiful publication (i love the front cover), but it seems to be increasingly consumed with endless articles about rounds. I completely understand at the moment there hasn't been much else to write about, but i wish they could be a little more selective... the Shane Ohly article for example was superb, but one or two seemed just a bit monotonous. "we climbed this, then this, then i changed my socks..."

There were some superb articles though, the Pete Barron one was very enjoyable, and i particularly enjoyed Mr Breeze's review of the new photo book... at least i wasn't the only one baffled by some of the writing! (which is not to denigrate what is a superb book which has pride of place on my coffee table).

I hope nobody takes the hump reading this... the magazine is an absolute credit to fellrunning. And obviously the Pete Bland tribute was fantastic.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post

It's obviously a beautiful publication (i love the front cover), but it seems to be increasingly consumed with endless articles about rounds. I completely understand at the moment there hasn't been much else to write about, but i wish they could be a little more selective... the Shane Ohly article for example was superb, but one or two seemed just a bit monotonous. "we climbed this, then this, then i changed my socks..."

There were some superb articles though, the Pete Barron one was very enjoyable, and i particularly enjoyed Mr Breeze's review of the new photo book... at least i wasn't the only one baffled by some of the writing! (which is not to denigrate what is a superb book which has pride of place on my coffee table).

I hope nobody takes the hump reading this... the magazine is an absolute credit to fellrunning. And obviously the Pete Bland tribute was fantastic.
    A bit like reading the Forum These Days You mean and before anyone says it I know i don't have to read the forum or the mag but I hold out hope that one day More folk might get back into what the whole concept of Fell Running is and maybe do something other than what they did the day before and the day before that mostly covering the same ground ad infinitum and no I don't think covid and lockdowns is a good enough excuse for not letting your imagination take you to different local areas etc.

TBH I think at the moment the Mag offers a far better read than the Forum.

Sorry guys I know and appreciate that a few have made interesting posts about their efforts to think outside of the box and spread there wings a bit and thank you for that

Rant over and here`s to the future and hopefully a forum that goes back close to the forum of old that is welcoming to all and sundry and a mine of information on ALL THINGS FELLRUNNING. Otherwise what is the point in the FRA spending money on a new foum?
    Last edited by JohnK; 13-05-2021 at 12:53 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    A bit like reading the Forum These Days You mean
    So you don't think we should suggest a "today's food" or "today's TV" section to the Fellrunner?

You never know, it might really take off. They said Gogglebox was a daft idea, and look at how many people watch that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    So you don't think we should suggest a "today's food" or "today's TV" section to the Fellrunner?

You never know, it might really take off. They said Gogglebox was a daft idea, and look at how many people watch that.
    Not what I said at all! in fact I didn`t suggest anything other than maybe just that it would be nice if there could be a bit more original fell running thinking brought back to the forum rather than going over and over the same old ground
    Last edited by JohnK; 13-05-2021 at 04:43 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Another month and another moan from someone about the forum not being as good as it used to be, without them posting anything of note to try and invigorate it.

I found this line offensive. For those of us who don't live in (or on the edge of) a National Park, don't live in (or on the edge of) an area of outstanding natural beauty, or don't live in an area of attractive countryside, the last three lockdowns have been extremely hard and for those people who live in Welsh cities and have had to 'exercise from home' it has been even harder.

No one in politics is talking much about the mental health and suicide figures yet, but I can tell you that a lot of people in urban areas have really suffered, and are continuing to do so. For most of the last 14 months I have been legally prevented from visiting anywhere remotely approaching fell country, and have largely been confined to the banks of the Coventry Canal as my local area.

For those people who want to see more of ALL THINGS FELLRUNNING it has to start with those who are fortunate enough to live in these areas
    At least you got the good bit of the Cov Canal... I've been stuck with the bit actually in Coventry!

I’m all for more people being really positive and enthusiastic about all things fell running. How about leading from the front JohnK???

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    So JohnK wants a bit of imagination, and thinking outside the box on fell running. How about this:
    https://www.facebook.com/joanna.helc...eric&ref=notif
    Yes, these ladies are actually running uphill with their buggies on Beacon Hill (admittedly not on one of the really steep paths).
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    So JohnK wants a bit of imagination, and thinking outside the box on fell running. How about this:
    https://www.facebook.com/joanna.helc...eric&ref=notif
    Yes, these ladies are actually running uphill with their buggies on Beacon Hill (admittedly not on one of the really steep paths).
    Excellent. Good on 'em. What that clip needed was some Murray Walker-esque F1 racing commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post

I also got bored reading these accounts, but really enjoyed Ally Beaven's book. Suggests the issue is more to do with writing style than subject matter?

Quote Originally Posted by gej View Post
    I also got bored reading these accounts, but really enjoyed Ally Beaven's book. Suggests the issue is more to do with writing style than subject matter?
    Yes, i think so... as i say above, the Shane Ohly article was very good.

Of course, the magazine can only be as good as the contributions and articles which are sent to them.