Page 65 of 69 FirstFirst ... 15556364656667 ... LastLast

Thread: Fellrunner Magazine

I obtained an eight volume bound set of The FellRunner magazines from 1976 to to 1988.

Sighhh.... now how can I obtain the first five issues of this wonderful magazine to complete my collection.

Are there many other complete collections in existences?
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Seconded. One of the best. Really enjoyed the long distance articles.
    Much of the magazine is now given over to long distance reports, they bore me to death and have no relevance to my fell running experience at all. This isn't a covid thing either, it's a trend that has been consistent for a couple of years now. I mostly skim the mag in search of anything that breaks up the endless feed of new rounds and new attempts at existing rounds, mostly Denise park's article is the only reason I open the cellophane packet.

About a year ago now I decided to tackle this problem by submitting a short distance race report; with all length, photo and credits criteria met I felt sure of a positive response. Imagine my shock when a bloke emailed me back saying that they were not requiring articles of this type. So there you go...if you like long distance rounds preferably in the lakes then get writing, your experiences are in high demand; if you like short blasts around the Pennines, perhaps share it elsewhere. I may even opt out if Denise retires.

Whilst i don't entire disagree with some of your points.... i don't think there was much that could be done differently in this issue...

I note that it now has a specific "Fellracer" section to the mag, and perhaps your style of article will find its place...

I'd certainly love to see some in-depth articles on, for example, the Champs races...

Quote Originally Posted by XRunner View Post
    I obtained an eight volume bound set of The FellRunner magazines from 1976 to to 1988.

Sighhh.... now how can I obtain the first five issues of this wonderful magazine to complete my collection.

Are there many other complete collections in existences?
    There are six issues from September 1971 to Autumn 1975 and they all on the FRA website. The first 4 were foolscap (not A4) and the next couple are A5 (ish) with which you will be familiar.

I know of a few complete collections (and obviously the list of the first members is a good start) but I don't recall anyone offering the very early issues for disposal in the last decade. Obviously only a few hundred of the first few copies were issued.

I suppose you could "advertise" if you wanted to obtain original copies on eg facebook, but otherwise you could ask to loan the six copies to scan them which is what the FRA did with my copies to place them on the website. The early issues were reproduced on a Gestetner and not very well (print comes through from the rear pages) so one might want to check from the website that it would all be worth it.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    About a year ago now I decided to tackle this problem by submitting a short distance race report; with all length, photo and credits criteria met I felt sure of a positive response. Imagine my shock when a bloke emailed me back saying that they were not requiring articles of this type. So there you go...if you like long distance rounds preferably in the lakes then get writing, your experiences are in high demand; if you like short blasts around the Pennines, perhaps share it elsewhere. I may even opt out if Denise retires.
    There definitely should be space for articles on shorter stuff, and proper race reports when we get back to it - as mentioned the Fellracer section seems the best home for this. One of the problems with these first-person reports is they can get a bit hackneyed (people fall into the trap of "my legs were pumping battery acid and I could taste blood") and they can all sound the same. That's not to say the long distance ones can't (and don't) do something similar, though IMO most of these long distance articles have been kept interesting and avoided the 'shopping-list' trap they can fall in to.

Some articles submitted could, I imagine, be of a quality more befitting a blog, suitable for sharing around a few chums or maybe the club, but not befitting of The Fellrunner. There have a been a couple of articles in the last year or so that I found to be not particularly 'worthy' (whatever that may mean; it will mean different things to different people) though these have been a tiny minority.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Master
    You can`t please all the people all of the time comes to mind
    The older I get the Faster I was

The magazine is getting very professional--and large. It is largely about ultra-running and long distance challenges which I have little interest in. Fell Running covers alsorts of distances, terrains and challenges that aren't reflected in the magazine. I mainly skim it too.

Quote Originally Posted by garymcmahon View Post
    The magazine is getting very professional--and large. It is largely about ultra-running and long distance challenges which I have little interest in. Fell Running covers alsorts of distances, terrains and challenges that aren't reflected in the magazine. I mainly skim it too.

Well if I never read another BGR account I will still die happy but:

i) the editor relies on voluntary contributions

ii) every editor is different and they change things. I have submitted pieces to eight of them and while I might think some editors have been "better" than others there isn't a huge market for articles about fell running so you have to bear with it until matters improve

iii) The Fellrunner is a broad church. I once casually commented to one editor that I found one writer's contributions to be unreadable and was told - quite rightly - that some readers thought his articles were the best thing in the magazine. So that was me told!

iv) A good editor should believe they are trying to serve the broader interests of the membership - and not think the magazine is a vehicle for personal vanity - and fortunately most of them have

v) I have written elsewhere about changes in content over the last 50 years. There really wasn't much coverage of ultra-running events etc 40 years ago because there weren't many such events; and there is a limit to how many articles can be published on, say, races over Pendle; and anyway Bill Smith has already written them.

So, I am just grateful that for 50 years someone has always been willing to take on such a demanding role in which Neil Denby edited 29 issues (ie over 9 years), Britta Sendlehofer 21 issues (7 years) whereas the last three editors have only managed a total of 18 issues between them.

Things change.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 04-12-2020 at 06:34 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

I do appreciate the difficulty of providing a balanced review/report of a race, that would be interesting enough to be a full article, rather than the usual few paragraphs seen in the results section of the mag...

If you're running the race, its difficult to have a view of anything other than your immediate battles. if you're spectating, unless its a short one, it's rather difficult to get an overall view.

i recently read a superb article in an old mag from mid-90's.... think it was by Andy Walmsey of Bowland, and his numerous efforts at the Coniston race. Probably the best article i've seen in any Fellrunner mag.

Quote Originally Posted by garymcmahon View Post
    It is largely about ultra-running and long distance challenges which I have little interest in. Fell Running covers alsorts of distances, terrains and challenges that aren't reflected in the magazine. I mainly skim it too.
    Sometimes, I get the impression it's a generally trend across all running. The longer, the better. I don't suppose this issue is one to gauge fell running in general given the summer we've had, but running should always be a celebration of all aspects, skills and talents.