Page 58 of 69 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast

Thread: Fellrunner Magazine

I think so long as any criticism is constructive,the editor can take things on board as they see fit, and the forum is a reasonable alternative to 'Letters to the Editor'. As Anthony Kay points out, the editor could well be more flexible with black & white imaqes - especially if a cover similar to summer 2018 is offered up! If it doesn't accommodate some of the perceived missing items, it really doesn't matter, as others have pointed out it is the best value for money with minimal commercial advertising, totally managed by like minded runners.
    A circular route mostly downhill

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    For the price of the FRA membership, it's still fantastic value, so i'd never want to knock them or criticise.

But personally I preferred it as it was.

Haven't read it in full yet, but the content still appears to be great.
    Yes, the content is very good as usual, although I don't know if I can wait 4 months to read the rest of what Colin Donnelly and Ricky Lightfoot have to say.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Yes, the content is very good as usual, although I don't know if I can wait 4 months to read the rest of what Colin Donnelly and Ricky Lightfoot have to say.
    What I want to know is did CD know that Finlay Wild was planning a 3000's attempt when he was interviewed?

No, Colin Donnelly would have no idea about Finlay's plan to attack the 3000s time. The interview was conducted before Christmas - at the Buxton Adventure Festival.

Anthony - I like the new Fellrunner in most aspects. Two changes I would not have done myself, and would like to see changed are: regionalising the results (as a researcher I am always ploughing chronologically through results in FR); and the splitting articles into parts (I would prefer a smaller font, somewhat less white space and thus getting more content in). Incidentally: the design reminds me somewhat of that of 'Like the Wind' magazine, a sort of nouveau running mag.

I like it but there are a few things I'd constructively criticise (some have been mentioned already):
    - Make the start of each article more obvious - the start of the interview with CD gets lost a bit - a big header for this would make it more obvious. Likewise a bigger header for a lot of the other articles would make it easier to navigate.
    - A few pictures lost in the crease - teething issue I imagine.
    - don't shun the B&W photos - Fellephant does some of the best photos around and they're mostly B&W! The new paper lends itself to B&W as well imo. Maybe some of the darker photos need 'lightening' a bit regards the new paper/printing - again likely just a teething issue
    - mention where/when/who alongside pictures
    - Revert the results section to chronological OR use the regions listed on the online FRA calendar.

Other than that grand job (and the kind of thing I expected Paul to put together!)
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Chilton View Post
    Anthony - I like the new Fellrunner in most aspects. Two changes I would not have done myself, and would like to see changed are: regionalising the results (as a researcher I am always ploughing chronologically through results in FR); and the splitting articles into parts (I would prefer a smaller font, somewhat less white space and thus getting more content in). Incidentally: the design reminds me somewhat of that of 'Like the Wind' magazine, a sort of nouveau running mag.
    Rouleur . . . Like the Wind . . . All these magazines that I had never even heard of before they were mentioned on this thread. I must have been leading a very sheltered life.

Anyway, my thoughts on the new format are very much in line with yours, Steve.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Rouleur . . . Like the Wind . . . All these magazines that I had never even heard of before they were mentioned on this thread. I must have been leading a very sheltered life.
    Well Anthony the coffee-table, glossy life style comes at a price and for Rouleur on subscription it is around £10 a copy.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

WTF??!!
    Heard an unusually loud 'plop' of heavy mail hitting the floor this morning and picked up what I thought was some free catalogue....turned it over to see it is the latest Fellrunner!!
    I'm gonna need to build stronger shelves!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Good news, should turn up in Spain next week then