Page 12 of 69 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Fellrunner Magazine

Re: Fellrunner Magazine

Antisocial, I must admit I very rarely bother reading the long distance articles. They just go on too long. Anything Dave W or Allan G writes is usually good. I like the runners profiles, Ali & Aly,Lloyd & Jackie etc
    Why not have a go at writing something for the next edition like I intend to do

Well I love Fellrunner but can see a glimmer of antisocials point. It seems to be made up of races, results, ultra running and BGR's - I'd also like topics on everyday solo running and solo exploring of the hills and mountains. And not just the obvious places but how about Dartmoor, Herefordshire, the Welsh Borders, the Scottish Borders or the North York Moors?

I'm a fan of solo expeditions - the Scotland crossing for instance this issue was excellent and inspirational (even though he went way over the top with his use of adjectives ) and I'd love to hear a runner's experiences of doing, I dunno, the dragons back solo or as a small group - did Wheeze ever write up his?

The trouble with BGR's is that they're so well supported, with endless recces, sherpas and whatnot. Yeah I know its really, really chuffing hard but it does sound like there's almost a BGR industry backing each attempt. To me for example a solo BGR done totally self sufficiency is more interesting, almost regardless of the time it takes, and if ever I can raise my game to try one thats what I'd go for.
    Last edited by Stolly; 21-03-2008 at 09:43 AM.

Some of the articles some people like in The Fellrunner I find illiterate, self-indulgent, verbose, trivial- I just cannot read them.

And I think all accounts of the BGR should auto-destruct on the PC as they are written.

On the other hand the journal often contains pieces that are insightful, timeless, profound, amusing, and add richness to the world of fellrunning.

Those are the pages I read.
    Last edited by alias; 21-03-2008 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    To me for example a solo BGR done totally self sufficiently is more interesting. Alone and self sufficient then become more important than just the time.
    That would be a tremendous achievement, but fraught with danger, i've no doubt someone will do it one day
    Hills and Guinness!

Do you mean the Running Bear adverts?

Quote Originally Posted by merrylegs View Post
    That would be a tremendous achievement, but fraught with danger, i've no doubt someone will do it one day
    I'm sure its probably been done ML. But even if someone ran it solo over two days, camping out with a one man tent, it just feels so much more exciting and fun than a 24 hour grind against the clock.

Yes I reckon lots of people must have done this and plan to do it myself before too long maybe even this year.

Is there a limit on how many Land-Rovers you can have following you round in support when people do their BGR?

And are helicopters with laser directed spotlights to indicate the optimum route allowed?

If not why not? It is only a matter of relative support.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    I'm sure its probably been done ML. But even if someone ran it solo over two days, camping out with a one man tent, it just feels so much more exciting and fun than a 24 hour grind against the clock.
    I totally agree, would be nice to do it the conventional way, and then your way Its all about how you want to challenge yourself, its a personal thing
    Hills and Guinness!

Relative support?

Well my mum offered to pack me some sandwiches...

And she knitted me a balaclava. Does that count?