Page 14 of 69 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: Fellrunner Magazine

david

Re: Fellrunner Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Trundler View Post
    Maybe some people on here need to work on distinguishing between "moaning" and "comment".
    Quite so. I'm enjoying the discussion and I'm sure none of it is intended as criticism of Britta's editorship.

For what it's worth, I agree with Antisocial and Trundler in that much of the content of the latest magazine has little to do with fell running as I have known it for a good number of years but I don't have to read the articles that don't interest me and if they appeal to the majority of the FRA membership then that's fine.
    perhaps I'm just a grumpy old man who lives in the past.
    There's a few of us around .
    As for you Graham, you'll probably tell me about Walsh V-ripples and call me a mere whippersnapper!
    Walsh Pennine Adders - now they really were uncomfortable on a hard surface .

david

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamB View Post
    But as the song goes, “...learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself".
    I'm beginning to detect a worrying similarity in our musical tastes .

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    I'm beginning to detect a worrying similarity in our musical tastes .
    Well... I don't like much music cut after around '62 (Garden Party was '72) but my Billboard Hot 100 books cover the territory from '55 so that's OK.

RN isn't terribly high on my list of favourites but he had good writers and of course had the wit to hire James Burton for eight years. And only today did I discover that James played lead on Dale Hawkins Susie-Q . Now that was a record. (Checker # 863, Peaked at #27 in Billboard July 1957: 19 weeks on chart).

Life can be so rich!

Ok, i'll try and reply here before a fight breaks out

All the feedback is appreciated - the more the better as it helps to gauge when i get it wrong and when i get it right. I'm pretty new to this editing malarky still and still consider myself on a learning curve and certainly not beyond reproach.

Personally i thought there was quite a wide range of articles in the last issue. I have my personal favourites too, but i couldn't just publish what i enjoy to read - we're all different and have different interests...

Some people seem to take offence at the long distance stuff, but with a feature on Angela Mudge, the article about Aly & Ali, an interview with Rob Hope, a page on Ricky Wilde, an article containing insight into the training regimes of Alister Brownlee, Andi Jones, Olivia Walwyn and many others (further down the field), articles about the relays and info on all the championship races, some race histories,... - there surely should be something to read for everyone!

The long distance stuff itself: Setting a new record for 'Everest Base Camp to Kathmandu' by fellrunners deserves a good spread, i don't care what anyone else thinks - i'd feel the same if someone had broken another famous record on the fells at home! I feel similar about John Fleetwoods achievement in that it deserves a good write up and recognition.

Some of the others may not strictly be 'fell running' but it's stories about what fellrunners got up to on their travels or at home during the winter when racing is more limited...

I've had a lot of great feedback and a lot of Thank You's which certainly are much appreciated, but as antisocial says - i did ask for comments/suggestions/input ... keep it coming (but be gentle )

Maybe some people on here need to work on distinguishing between "moaning" and "comment".
    I'm guessing that's partly directed at me,well i know what you mean,my comments were in jest,i just find it funny how things get blown out of proportion on this forum sometimes,not on this thread but on certain others

anyway keep up the good work,i myself was very happy with this months fellrunner magazine,thanks to everyone who help make it

and well done Britta. Think you're doing a great job.

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by Britta View Post
    Ok, i'll try and reply here before a fight breaks out

All the feedback is appreciated - the more the better as it helps to gauge when i get it wrong and when i get it right. I'm pretty new to this editing malarky still and still consider myself on a learning curve and certainly not beyond reproach.

Personally i thought there was quite a wide range of articles in the last issue. I have my personal favourites too, but i couldn't just publish what i enjoy to read - we're all different and have different interests...

Some people seem to take offence at the long distance stuff, but with a feature on Angela Mudge, the article about Aly & Ali, an interview with Rob Hope, a page on Ricky Wilde, an article containing insight into the training regimes of Alister Brownlee, Andi Jones, Olivia Walwyn and many others (further down the field), articles about the relays and info on all the championship races, some race histories,... - there surely should be something to read for everyone!

The long distance stuff itself: Setting a new record for 'Everest Base Camp to Kathmandu' by fellrunners deserves a good spread, i don't care what anyone else thinks - i'd feel the same if someone had broken another famous record on the fells at home! I feel similar about John Fleetwoods achievement in that it deserves a good write up and recognition.

Some of the others may not strictly be 'fell running' but it's stories about what fellrunners got up to on their travels or at home during the winter when racing is more limited...

I've had a lot of great feedback and a lot of Thank You's which certainly are much appreciated, but as antisocial says - i did ask for comments/suggestions/input ... keep it coming (but be gentle )
    britta id like to add my views if i may
    i think the magazine is spot on , at the end of the day as usual there are always a number of people that criticise people like yourself, they should be ashamed of themselves. The latest edition was as good as ever. The only actual fellrunner ive ever heard moan was about always having photos of the same top runners in it.
    I must try and write some articles
    keep up the goodwork
    daz

david

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    at the end of the day as usual there are always a number of people that criticise people like yourself, they should be ashamed of themselves.
    I think you should read the thread again carefully before you make comments like that.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamB View Post
    it is not the role of an unpaid Editor to start redrafting and editing contributor’s work.
    Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    I must try and write some articles
    Eek....

Now that is funny!