Page 62 of 69 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast

Thread: Fellrunner Magazine

Master
    Yep got my mag just got to find the time to read it.

On the subject of plastic I now find I have gone back to buying fruit and veg in plastic bags again to avoid buying the loose fruit and veg which will have been handled and mauled by dozens of customers ahead of me, whereas the contents of my plastic bags should be a lot cleaner and safer (Hopefully).

Can`t be to careful
    The older I get the Faster I was

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    If you dispose of it by throwing it in the sea then yes she's right. Otherwise, the alternative to single-use plastic is single-use paper, and the latter is worse than plastic in terms of carbon emissions during manufacture, transport, and disposal. Unless it were sent in paper and you re-used the envelope a few times.
    Almost correct BUT paper and card disposal now goes in the compost bin. Costs nothing and goes back safely to nature.

I'm afraid I don't buy the carbon footprint argument of paper vs plastic. Even if disposed of carelessly in the environment most paper will soon decompose, plastic will stay around virtually forever.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Quote Originally Posted by bigfella View Post
    I'm afraid I don't buy the carbon footprint argument of paper vs plastic. Even if disposed of carelessly in the environment most paper will soon decompose, plastic will stay around virtually forever.
    Compostable plastic bags are not made from polythene - they are made from oils and starches and so, rather than staying around for virtually ever, degrade naturally when the come into contact with moisture.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
    Compostable plastic bags are not made from polythene - they are made from oils and starches and so, rather than staying around for virtually ever, degrade naturally when the come into contact with moisture.
    100% agree, I wasn't aware these decomposable bags where referred to as 'plastic'.

I believe the Fellrunner packaging was standard plastic.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

So far there has been far more interest shown in the packaging than the contents. It's like being with a toddler at Christmas

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfella View Post
    Latest bumper issue just landed through my letter box.

My very vocal, environmentally conscious daughter said, "Unsubscribe now, it comes wrapped in bl...dy plastic!" is she right?
    No. Hope that helps. (If not, I'm sure the FRA Committee would welcome a data-driven, evidence-backed analysis on the topic.)

On the subject of virtue signalling: various investigations, anonymous surveys etc have shown that supermarkets are well aware that abandoning plastic packaging for fruit and veg is overall much worse for the environment because the food goes off so much faster, increasing wastage and "food miles" for replacements. But they don't care, because all that matters is that it looks (to their customers) as though they care about the environment.

Quote Originally Posted by gej View Post
    So far there has been far more interest shown in the packaging than the contents. It's like being with a toddler at Christmas
    Well, after spending much of the last 18 months reading every page of every Fellrunner several times:

Guy Goodair's piece on the LDMT 1959 was one of the most delightful articles I have read in years. A real joy.

You could read (Professor Dr.) George Broderick's article on the Manx MM and not know that he is the highly esteemed world authority on the Manx language (Mannin) and much else, including some aspects of fell running.

The first sentence of Jonny Muir's article (on Andrew Douglas [and, oops, not Dugdale!] ) was a classic in engaging the reader from the first sentence. If a reader likes the first paragraph they will read the second and then the writer should have their attention for the whole piece, even if they aren't particularly interested in the subject. This is the refreshing writing skill that helped Richard Askwith sell 70,000 copies of Feet In The Clouds.

I didn't care about the packaging.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 08-05-2020 at 06:47 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    The first sentence of Jonny Muir's article (on Andrew Dugdale) was a classic in engaging the reader from the first sentence. If a reader likes the first paragraph they will read the second and then the writer should have their attention for the whole piece, even if they aren't particularly interested in the subject. This is the refreshing writing skill that helped Richard Askwith sell 70,000 copies of Feet In The Clouds.

I didn't care about the packaging.
    Yes, I thought Jonny Muir's article was particularly good (and didn't notice the packaging on the magazine); but while Dugdale is a common surname among top fell/mountain runners (from Paul Dugdale of Horwich in the 1980s/90s to Joseph Dugdale, last year's World Junior Champion), this article is about a Douglas.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Yes, I thought Jonny Muir's article was particularly good (and didn't notice the packaging on the magazine); but while Dugdale is a common surname among top fell/mountain runners (from Paul Dugdale of Horwich in the 1980s/90s to Joseph Dugdale, last year's World Junior Champion), this article is about a Douglas.
    Ha ha. Well, even Homer sometimes nods, but that does neatly illustrate my point.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 08-05-2020 at 09:33 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".