Thread: Preferred Running Terrain

Preferred Running Terrain

Given that a high proportion of my running has been over the same half a dozen or so routes, largely in the Dales (well up until this year anyway), I have done a fair amount of what I guess is best described as 'rubble' running. I can pelt down rubble-y hills and tracks and seem to be able to pick my boulder to boulder hops two or three rocks in advance (kind of like snooker then ). And the thought of falling never enters my head....... which is probably just as well.

Running down hill though on boggy bog, marsh grass, greasy mud or wet grass and I've always been slower and much more cautious. I suppose I'm thinking that I'll slip and, simply by thinking that, become much more likely to do so. I remember following someone off of the main (rubble-y) path on the descent to Red Tarn I think during the Langdale Horseshoe race, along a boggy, slippery, 45 degree traverse 'shortcut' that the chap I was following professed to be his best descent and line ever and thinking (well knowing for sure actually) that I'd have gone miles faster on the rubble.

I have been practising massively on mud since and can look forward to more of the same in spades over the winter but I'm far from sure that'll I'll ever be faster that way. Any tips for bog running descents that I should try and take into account?

Re: Preferred Running Terrain

S'easy! When incline overcomes grip, just go with the flow and carry on on yer arse. I have passed people on my backside at several races, Pen Y Fan and Fan Fawr spring to mind! Wearing leggings helps you go even faster.
    For the ultimate mud-slide, you just have to see The Grassy Bank down to the Red Burn at Ben Nevis. It's the fastest 500 foot descent you will ever do without a parachute!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Running down through the bog lands below Pen Y Ghent on Sunday, trying out my new found semi fast recklessness, I managed to sink deep a couple of times, leading me to do 20 yards footballer knee slides..... which seemed quite fast too

Stolly, I am exactly the same running on rocks and boulders on slow long descents and I am off! Love the stretches where eyes streaming as you do not blink for fear of slowing down/falling over. Put me on a tussocky marsh and I am next to useless (just ask my OMM Partner) step step fall, step step fall as I cross the tops of the Lowther hills.

Grassy descents are alright, just keep low get legs moving and I dig in my heels for a bit of extra grip. Now I am sure this is wrong but I do not lean forward too much as If I fall which I do often I fall on bum and am off again without too much loss of stride. I do need to get better at this though.

Chuck yourself off Ingleborough (west side) a few times, great death slide grass bank there when wet (watch out for those thistles) slide on bum until you reckon your legs can keep up then get running.

Master and MR