Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BGR 10-11 November

BGR 10-11 November

I'm planning on doing Leg 1 on Saturday, running back to Keswick on the old railway line. If all goes well, I'd like to do Leg 4 on Sunday, and was thinking of parking at Honister pass and running over to Wasdale via Moses Trod then doing the leg to collapse in a heap back at the car.

Unfortunately my running partner that I'd been planning to do this with has picked up some sort of virus and is no fit state to be running in the fells, leaving me on my own. I hope this isn't a forboding of what is to come when we are due to do the whole round together next year!

I know it's very short notice, but if anyone would like to join me on either day I'd welcome the company. PM me, I'll have access to read any reply up until about 9pm tonight (Friday).

Steve

Re: BGR 10-11 November

Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    I'm planning on doing Leg 1 on Saturday, running back to Keswick on the old railway line. If all goes well, I'd like to do Leg 4 on Sunday, and was thinking of parking at Honister pass and running over to Wasdale via Moses Trod then doing the leg to collapse in a heap back at the car.

Unfortunately my running partner that I'd been planning to do this with has picked up some sort of virus and is no fit state to be running in the fells, leaving me on my own. I hope this isn't a forboding of what is to come when we are due to do the whole round together next year!

I know it's very short notice, but if anyone would like to join me on either day I'd welcome the company. PM me, I'll have access to read any reply up until about 9pm tonight (Friday).

Steve
    me and notonurhelly are doing leg one sat we will be at moot hall for 9-9.30 but we are going very slow due to roaches sun
    Steve(amexaroundblokewho'stryingtoloosehisbaby)
    Going to try again....

I did that exact weekend once and had a brilliant time. The Sunday was not that bad, and the run back to Keswick on the railway line was really enjoyable.

In fact, it was a year ago this weekend. That's just freaky.

Have fun

ST

Quote Originally Posted by Amex View Post
    me and notonurhelly are doing leg one sat we will be at moot hall for 9-9.30 but we are going very slow due to roaches sun
    Steve(amexaroundblokewho'stryingtoloosehisbaby)
    Thanks, but I doubt I can drag myself out of bed early enough to get up there for that time, I can never remember how long the drive takes but wouldn't expect to get to the Moot Hall much before 10 at the earliest. If I get there earlier I guess I might see you!

Speed was never in my plan, more route familiarity and time on the feet,

Thanks, but I doubt I can drag myself out of bed early enough to get up there for that time, I can never remember how long the drive takes but wouldn't expect to get to the Moot Hall much before 10 at the earliest. If I get there earlier I guess I might see you!

Speed was never in my plan, more route familiarity and time on the feet,
    I know it's early but notonurhelly needs to get back he is going to some pink march in Manchester i think to protest about rights
    a 7.30 set off for us takes about an hour and half from BURNLEY
    Going to try again....

SteveS - was thinking about doing your Sunday plan on Saturday....but weather forecast is looking bleak, very high winds, so I think I'm going to leave that for another time.

Amex, I'm thinking of changing plans and doing Leg 1 (and part of Leg 2?) on Saturday. Mind if I come along? I'm running like a duffer at the moment though on the downhills due to 2 twisted ankles this summer!!

If it's ok, I'll either see you at Moot Hall, or pm me before 3.30 today.
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

High winds on Steeple do not sound like my idea of fun! I hope Sunday will be a little calmer than Saturday.

Amex - looking at a motoring route planner I'm an extra 2 hours away, I'd love a 7:30 start from home! Doubt I'll be going much faster than you on the recce anyway, so probably won't see you. Good luck!

I found my weekend was successful. I've not done leg 1 before, so it was a bit of a confidence boost getting round without any major problems despite the cloud. Still room for a little improvement, and a few other options to try. The winds were a bit extreme whipping across the top of Blencathra. I found Halls Fell ridge was somewhat treacherous, I think I'd go for the longer descent over Doddick(?) fell next time unless it was dry.

Going across to Wasdale on the Sunday the paths were packed with people going up to Great Gable for Remembrace Day, so no getting lost! The morning rain turned into snow, but after that it brightened up into a clear, sunny day, such a contrast to the Saturday, and far easier to navigate. Still windy and cold though. Leg 4 passed pretty much without incident, and much easier to navigate being to see where I was headed! I enjoyed the long day out.

The only cold feet I got were from the paths that had turned into streams, and not about attempting the full round sometime!

Hey Steve we did Doddick Fell on saturday, its great running. I much prefer it to Halls Fell ridge.

We also took a good line from Skiddaw to Calva.

Not sure about our route to Blencathra after Mungrisedale, but Ive never done it before

I think we went too far left after Mungrisedale. We ended up on an excellent path with a gradual climb that would have been runnable had we been fresh. We then had a quick climb up a zig zag path to the summit past the big white cross.

I could not plot it on a map though. It just seemed easy going from Mungrisedale. When I have reccied before I have never found it easy going from Mungrisedale.

Perhaps Amex or Mr1470 can help me.
    Last edited by NotOnUrHelly; 12-11-2007 at 11:19 PM.

I found Halls Fell ridge was somewhat treacherous, I think I'd go for the longer descent over Doddick(?) fell next time unless it was dry.
    I haven't tried the Doddick descent yet but have been down a line that descends almost straight off the summit then breaks off left towards Middle Tongue crossing it and dropping down to the stream to the west of it that is followed to Threlkeld.

I thought after first coming down it that all the fast rounds must have come down there seems more likley than Halls fell? (Stewart Bland got down in 13mins) only thing is its very steep at the top so you need good studs if its wet.

Bill