Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BGR 10-11 November

Re: BGR 10-11 November

Quote Originally Posted by NotOnUrHelly View Post
    Hey Steve we did Doddick Fell on saturday, its great running. I much prefer it to Halls Fell ridge.
    It MUST be better. Pretty much runnable all the way down, and even at my slow descent pace, we were down in Threlkeld in good time.

We also took a good line from Skiddaw to Calva.
    That was superb. Great stuff Amex. I'll remember that.

NOUH or Amex - when we followed the fence down off Calva, did we get all the way to the stream at the bottom or cut off right just before that? Was there on Sunday in clear conditions and I couldn't fathom it.

Not sure about our route to Blencathra after Mungrisedale, but Ive never done it before

I think we went too far left after Mungrisedale.

I'd not done it before either but things I've read suggest that we went a little far left. Also, having had clear views from the Back O' Skidda on Sunday, there would seem to be a more obvious line right of where we were almost directly to the top. But, in the circumstances (low cloud and windy), it seemed like a good safe choice.
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

alwaysinjured

Quote Originally Posted by Baggins View Post
    I haven't tried the Doddick descent yet but have been down a line that descends almost straight off the summit then breaks off left towards Middle Tongue crossing it and dropping down to the stream to the west of it that is followed to Threlkeld.

I thought after first coming down it that all the fast rounds must have come down there seems more likley than Halls fell? (Stewart Bland got down in 13mins) only thing is its very steep at the top so you need good studs if its wet.

Bill
    Dont underestimate doddick bill - my splits show it is a LOT faster than halls, since it is easy running, and the latter stages are much less steep than the runnable part of halls.

Now OK, there is (less than) a K of gentle descent running on very good track at the end, but thats still only 3 minutes for a bland, so It is still possible that time was on doddick - 9 mins to cover just over a mile of descent would be easy for a bland, it only took me 16 mins at a plod.
    Someone should ask billy next time they see him

If there is an alternative, it is probably phil hodgsons rapid descent then traverse along the W side of halls to join back up at the end of the rough studf

Ive been down middle tongue and variants a couple of times - its pretty rough in parts so I think it is unlikely it is the record route - but conditions change.

Hmmmmm,
    I think we have to take a real view at this, some will prefer halls fell some doddick some to the west but i feel it's what you are comfy with, as long as you put the leg work in first and let your nav know your route all will be well, i am in the club of thought that it's better not to think on the day, let your party who are helping you help!
    Yes we did take a line left up to but clag was down and it's that bloody MR in me coming out, i promise next time to get us lost! i think it's called blue something the line we took????????????
    Next time i am going to try the heather line from Calva a more direct line
    Going to try again....

Its not like we got lost, I was just curious about the route we took to Blencathra, it seemed easier than one I have taken and we still made it on schedule.

Hows the legs and body after the Roaches?

Im taking it easy now till Pendle, good luck with the weight in. Im sure you are into negative points after this weekend.

jamie

Quote Originally Posted by Amex View Post
    Hmmmmm,
    I think we have to take a real view at this, some will prefer halls fell some doddick some to the west but i feel it's what you are comfy with, as long as you put the leg work in first and let your nav know your route all will be well, i am in the club of thought that it's better not to think on the day, let your party who are helping you help!
    I think its best to try a few variations on descending Blencathra to see which one you prefer.

For me the direct descent is quicker than Halls fell but I have yet to try Doddick.

If there is an alternative, it is probably phil hodgsons rapid descent then traverse along the W side of halls to join back up at the end of the rough stuff
    This could be true I tried to find his line at two in the morning the week after he removed the cairns so couldn't find it.

The thing I like about the direct descent is there are lots of "handrails" to guide you down so no messing about looking for cairns or paths.

Looks like I'll be making the Xmas on the fells recce so we could split into a few groups for the descent

Bill

Its not like we got lost, I was just curious about the route we took to Blencathra, it seemed easier than one I have taken and we still made it on schedule.

Hows the legs and body after the Roaches?

Im taking it easy now till Pendle, good luck with the weight in. Im sure you are into negative points after this weekend.

jamie
    All good matey, i felt guilty about not training yesterday tho!!!! how mad is that! we went to Blue screes which is a safe line to Blencath but i don't think its the fast way!
    must train today then rest for tour
    Quote"
    Looks like I'll be making the Xmas on the fells recce so we could split into a few groups for the descent
    Thats a good idea bill i have never just gone off the edge to the right so to speak
    Going to try again....

I came off Skiddaw a little too far to the north, when I crossed the fence I was north of the other one running east down the fellside. Luckily even in the clag it was quite easy to spot I wasn't following a ridge and it was quickly corrected, and I found those quad bike tracks which were very good running. The line after there was good apart from an eagerness to come off left too early which left me in bashing through high heather for a short way to get to the track.

I was surprised how easy it was to follow the path up Calva, starting at the bridge and following the beck. No problems with that climb, and I took a bearing to come off to hit the sheepfold. The heather at the top was short enough not to be problem; I was most of the way down before it became a problem. Wasn't sure of the state of the Caldew, and since I was on my own was a chicken and went straight upstream to where the fence crosses. Followed Bob Wightman's directions, took a bearing up to the common, and though it was pathless found the ground easy to cover. I hit the cairn almost spot on on Mungrisdale, followed the path which was again good running, and bore right through the screes at the last minute. In the clag ended up partly going up the eastern top rather than hitting the col.

Then the problems started slipping and sliding down the top of Halls Fell!

Next recce I think I give the route down to Skiddaw House from Calva a shot, and Doddick fell. The ascents were all fine, I just need to get the descents sorted!

Master

Steve S

are you thinking of BGR next year? I just failed at honister (1 hour down)this year mainly due to lack of fitness and being on my own for so much of the way. I'm planning for 7th June, Possibly 14th and trying to get a bigger team together this time.I am from Nottingham (see beginners thread) and always keen when possible to team up for training runs etc. What plans have you for other days out in future. Me Im planning to run the peris horseshoe first Sat in December if interested?
    Also probably going to do 1st leg BGR this Sunday morning.

Simon

If all goes well I'm planning on 21 June next year, as no doubt are a load of others with it being near the longest day. The intention is for it to be a joint round with another Nottingham based runner, as long as they don't duck out on me at the last minute through illness

The weekends we both have free and have set aside are 19-20 Jan, 15-16 Mar and 10-12 May, though I'm keen to fit in a couple more it's more likely to end up being a last minute thing. Trying to rearrange family stuff so I can get to the xmas recce on 23 December (see seperate thread) too.

Can't make this weekend and I'm doing a road race the first weekend in December, then the Rotherham Round the following week to get some time on the feet.

In principle though, happy to join up for training/recces.