Thread: 2008 N.I. Championship Race

2008 N.I. Championship Race

I heard a rumour over the weekend that the route of the Northern Irish Championship race for next year will be known after the 5th of December. Can anyone confirm this as I think I should be able to arrange some time in December to go and recce the race.
    Cheers.

Re: 2008 N.I. Championship Rac

It is usually Spelga Skyline. I've never done this race, but I have heard that it's the kind of race that I normally enjoy (tough, long, rough underfoot, not dominated by paths). Any comments from other folk who have done this in the past?

FellMonster

Although ive never been round the route ive been over a number of the mountains concerned....and watched the 2005 Spelga Skyline race on DVD (Saddo I know). The mournes generally arent big on paths....and *can* be rough in places.

Im a bit confused why it hasn't already been confirmed....unless NIMRA are thinking of introducing a new route for next year...I mean they held their AGM weeks ago, and I imagine this sort of stuff would have been sorted by now.....I, for one, will be shocked if its a new course.......N.I isn't keen on change.....I mean, N.I Athletics (bless them) keep it really simple by holding their cross country championships over the same course EVERY SINGLE BLOOMING year

Yorks.Thug, you are pretty much spot on with your description of the race . I did it in 2005 ,very few paths/trails to follow and plenty of rough stuff and a horrendous hill to finish off with !

So does anybody know what route has been decided on for this race. I understand that a decision was supposed to have been made last week. The thing is I have got a couple of days in the Mournes next week and it might be my only chance of getting any sort of recce of the route before race day.
    Cheers

I heard last night; it has been decided it will not be Spelga or Annalong, but a special Mourne Mountains Race, taking in some if not all of the very finest the Mourne offers....

I'm sure full details will emerge soon..... via NIMRA etc..

It's bound to be something very special, as are all the Mourne races!
    Miss Muddy Paws Dad....
    Not clever & often stupid..