Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Coordinator

New Coordinator

Hi

I thought I would introduce myself.

I'm Richard Lecky-Thompson (Lecky to most).

I've just taken over from Madeleine Watson as Junior Coordinator. I'm not sure what that means yet, but I'm working on it.

If you have any questions or advice as to what I should do, please let me know.

I've been running for about 30 years, and fell running on and off for most of that. Moving to the Lakes 18 years ago made fell running easier.

Recently, about the last couple of years, I've been coaching with Broughton Runners, a Juniors Running club. That has been great.

I look forward to getting round most of the Junior races next year - I haven't been to many of them - and getting to know everyone.

Bye for now

Re: New Coordinator

Richard,

That is great news.

Everyone in the fell running community will be delighted that juniors now have a dedicated co-ordinator again. And I know the statistics will be sound.

Graham

Graham

Thanks for your comment. I know that someone else does the Junior Stats, and I very much hope he will continue.

I don't actually know his name yet, but Madeleine has a lot of stuff to give me, and I hope it'll be in there.

Any other people who have been helping Madeleine, please, please help me too!

Bye for now,

Richard - I'm really really glad you've taken on this role. And that you're obviously keen! I do indeed have a load of stuff to give you. I'll be in touch!

Graham - you perhaps need to explain to the young ones around the forum that Lecky used to be FRA statistician. I am sure you were not implying that the stats before were dodgy in any way!

Yes, well done Richard - you've had quite a long enough break from committee stuff! I'll catch up with you on a descent soon .
    A circular route mostly downhill

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by Lecky View Post
    Hi

I thought I would introduce myself.

I'm Richard Lecky-Thompson (Lecky to most).

I've just taken over from Madeleine Watson as Junior Coordinator. I'm not sure what that means yet, but I'm working on it.

If you have any questions or advice as to what I should do, please let me know.

I've been running for about 30 years, and fell running on and off for most of that. Moving to the Lakes 18 years ago made fell running easier.

Recently, about the last couple of years, I've been coaching with Broughton Runners, a Juniors Running club. That has been great.

I look forward to getting round most of the Junior races next year - I haven't been to many of them - and getting to know everyone.

Bye for now
    well done richard
    nice one mate

Quote Originally Posted by Madeleine View Post

Graham - you perhaps need to explain to the young ones around the forum that Lecky used to be FRA statistician. I am sure you were not implying that the stats before were dodgy in any way!
    Mea Culpa.

My little joke. I should explain to younger readers that Richard was FRA Statistician for 4 years before Brian Martin (5 years) and Madeleine (3 years) and now Mark Hobson.

Of course Jim Godwin does the junior stats, maintains the junior website, and does many other things for the juniors.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 13-11-2007 at 10:33 AM.

Hi Richard , I noticed your name and remember that as a child I was given the autograph of a Mr Lecky Thompson : a pilot in the RAF , i think he was a very early Harrier pilot. Any relation?

That would be Squadron Leader Tom Lecky-Thompson, my uncle. He won the transatlantic race from the top of the Post Office tower to the top of the Empire State Building, in 1969, flying a Harrier.

It seems that most people who were involved in the RAF around somehow came into contact with my uncle, who was, and still is, quite a character. However, this characterfulness probably explains why he stayed as a Squadron leader and never progressed any higher.

As far as I am aware he was still flying into his early 70s and was examining Civil Pilots until the last couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Lecky View Post
    That would be Squadron Leader Tom Lecky-Thompson, my uncle. He won the transatlantic race from the top of the Post Office tower to the top of the Empire State Building, in 1969, flying a Harrier.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Daily Mail
    May 1969. London - New York transatlantic air race, commemorating the 50th anniversary of Alcock and Brown's crossing of the Atlantic, between the RAF and RN.

The RAF used a Harrier GR1 operating out of Northolt. Flown by Squadron Leader Tom Lecky-Thompson, the flight, in XV741, involved 4 air-to-air refuellings (Victor K1s) and took 6 hr 11 min 57 sec landing at at Floyd Bennett Naval Air Station. (Floyd Bennett is located in the southern part of Brooklyn between Flatbush Avenue and Jamaica Bay).

The RN provided a F-4K from 892 Sqn out of Yeovilton. Also supported by the K1s, they set a record flight time of 4 hours 46 minutes and 57 seconds.

The race, however, was from the top of the Post Office Tower to the top of the Empire State building. The RAF won overall because of their reduced ground transit times.
    Now you know.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker