Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultra-Trail du Mont-Blanc 2008

Re: Ultra-Trail du Mont-Blanc

Me and Highlander are in.

having decided to pass this year, after watching the dvd of last year and seeing the email tread am already getting ichey feet for 2009...

I also got my entry which I have hoped for ...and it better be worth it!

Why do I have a feeling that my usual 'annual running injury' will be happening in August this year...?

hope that those friends / forumites on the 20% roll-over get in as well! Fingers crossed.

Great news Duracell - I expect nothing less than a top 10 from you!!!

At the end ,I 'll be " Norfolk and Good " as well

For those of you out there who have already done it - what would be your top tips for getting round it that might be different from other ultras? Anything special regarding training, equipment, food, shoes, mistakes not to repeat etc etc.
    John Fleetwood's account in the last Fellrunner made sobering reading!!

Mountain Man - I did it last year and it's the best event I've ever done by miles and miles and miles....

My advice would be :-

Get your mind around it first!! If you go in to it with any thoughts of not finishing you won't finish.

Find some shoes / socks that work for you - for me it was Inov8 315s with Thorlo socks - absolutely perfect not a blister is sight! (and I've suffered with blisters in the past)

Food - I thought the stuff they served was great - good variety and very edible (then again I can eat most things). Coke and noodle soup what a fab combination. There's also loads of it so I didn't carry anything but the minimum.

Take some Ibuprofen (but not too much - Saz!!)

Buy a shoulder strap bottle (Raidlight) - They're great.

Take it steady and enjoy the scenery / atmosphere / race - you can always come back again to try for a time once you know your way round.

I wrote up my experience of the race which I'd be happy to share with you - pm me with your e-mail address if you want a copy.

Good luck - hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

N&G I will PM you (I have heard from Saz as well!) with my email address. It sounds like one of those things you just have to do. I am quite excited already or is it just fear!! Thanks

I came across this thread on the 11th Jan, entered the ballot for the last 20% of places as a token effort, and got an email last night saying i'm in. Crikey !! Now i'm both excited and scared.

Any advice would be welcome as I've not done anything quite like this before.
    In particular what are the advantages of poles, I've never used them for racing ? How do you go about deciding on a pace to set off at ? Would running trainers work or do you need more grip ?

Read FMA's account and the Girls account in the latest Fellrunner. I'll PM you N&G to get your account as well if that's ok.

Jo

Al was a big convert to the polls but you need to know what you are doing with them. Acording to him most of the people were not getting the most benafit out of them. He recond it was worth 10-15% up hill. I know he did a quite a bit of training with them mainly because he uses them for the ski mountanearing races he does in the winter but having got the technique sorted on the sort or trails the race is in they are very good.

Ifor