Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Ultra-Trail du Mont-Blanc 2008

Feet in the Cowclaps

Re: Ultra-Trail du Mont-Blanc

new rules for entry in 2009

All those 'pre-entered' will take part in a lottery to avoid the internet panic.

Feet in the Cowclaps

From American Scott Jurek's blog. His report about UTMB 2007.
    He's quite critical of those who cut corners when going downhill instead of following the zigzags of the paths. It's something Americans aren't used to I suppose.
    What he says about 'outside aid and pacing' is interesting though!

In my first running of the Ultra Trail-Tour du Mont-Blanc, I did not produce the result I was hoping for. I withdrew just before half way, noticing early on that I didn’t have the pep in my legs that I usually do at my peak. As each early mile was feeling like an ending mile, I decided to spare my body the torture and call it a day, hopefully sparing it for next month’s Spartathlon. I realized that my legs just didn’t have enough time to recover from last months Hardrock performance.

(...)

However, although it didn’t affect my race in any way this year as I didn’t have it in me regardless, I did learn a few things about how to run here if I want to be competitive. Many of the French supporters of us runners from the US were very concerned about us not knowing the course. Obviously on any course the more you’ve run on it the better you will perform, but I’m pretty good at studying a profile and previous splits of other runners and getting a general idea of how to strategize. I ran Western States my first year without having run the course, for example. And I’ve learned a lot since then. Not at all as a criticism, but rather as a very important realization if they’ll invite me back for another shot at it, “knowing the course” means “knowing how to make the course the shortest.” I know in mountain running they’ll take the shortest routes as they wish, but the translated race rules said to not cut switchbacks for the sake of the environment. And we were led to believe that the runners were to stay directly on the very well marked course as we would in the States. But what we might call cheating is completely acceptable, going up or going down, and it was obvious that many of the rules we were to follow were pretty lax.

The French runners in the days prior to the race were telling me to be sure to follow some of the runners who “knew the course the best.” At times I was able to follow them, but it’s difficult to run your own race in this fashion. “Knowing the course” is a huge advantage now knowing what is really meant by this. Maybe there is an unwritten rule that the top runners don’t have to adhere to the rules as closely as the others, as evidenced also by the outside aid and pacing of some of the top runners. Cultural difference? Again, no criticism, but just things to take note of if I want to take another shot at it in the future. When in France, do as the French?!

Can someone tell where the downloadable English version of the French 2008guide book (recently posted out) is located on the UTMB website? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAIN MAN View Post
    Can someone tell where the downloadable English version of the French 2008guide book (recently posted out) is located on the UTMB website? Thanks
    Here

You need to go to the UTMB website and change to the English version (click on the Union Jack).

The 2008 version of the guide is in the documents section.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Thanks. Looked there but must have missed it.

I have just got around to downloading the English version of the road book, and discovered an extra bit of climbing at the end. When I did it in 2005 the end was "fairly" flat. I think this is the first time (from looking at previous result cards) that this extra climb up La Flegere has been included. Just though I would point it out. As it makes time comparisons to previous races difficult. I think it will add at least 1 - 1 1/2 hours compared to the previous 4 years. With the same cut off time of 46 hours this could make it very tough for some.

yes I'm surprised they haven't extended the time allowed. It will make the finish altogether different. A much better route in my opinion, but as I am likely to be doing it in the dark I suspect the aesthetic qualities will be somewhat lost on me.

will certainly make it interesting, but time comparison it not really possible as the course has changed each year at the end, and of course last year they added the bit to St gervais in

Right, been looking at schedules.

Food wise, what's on offer at:

Repas Chaud, I gather that's a hot meal, do you get a full choice of hot and cold there?

Revaillement? Is that just a choice of cold foods, sweet and savoury?

It seems there's ~10 miles between food stops, do you just grab what you can and eat on the go for the next few hours?

Water? In the alps can you drink from streams? Reliable?

How much of your own food do you set off with? any? a few gels? an assortment of food?

First aid: Can we get access to vaseline/lubricant en route or do you carry enough for the whole run? Also compeed type stuff?

for what its worth and based on last year

I would avoid drinking for streams, its a risk that is not really needed - I used a sinlge 500ml bottle last year and was fine just filling up at stations or water toughs

the main hot food I remember was at the main stations, but there is soup and hot drinks at most

Some people stop and eat, others grab and keep moving, it depends on your choice

bread, biscuits, dried fruit, chocolate, cheese, dried meat, coke (liquid form), pie, soup, energy bars are all available - the first big feedstation is st gervais then contamines - you only really need to carry stuff if you do not like what the organisers provide - and then you need eoung for 12 hours to get you to courmyer and your drop bag to re-stock

I would be self sufficient in terms of vasaline and compeed, again makeing use of the drop points

s