Thread: Fat man runs up hill

Fat man runs up hill

Hello folks. Fairly new to this game but finding it suspiciously addictive....

I've found myself agreeing to join some friends in the Simonside Cairns in three weeks - 11 miles & 1400 feet. Currently I'm doing 9 miles on the flat and 6 on the fells, so it's going to be pushing the envelope a little!

My instinct is to get one long-ish, slow run in on the flat - maybe 12 miles or more - and maybe half a dozen fell runs of 6 miles or longer. Does that sound like a reasonable idea? If so, when should I do my long run? ASAP, presumably, to give myself time to recover.

I realise three weeks is not an ideal training schedule, and 11 miles is not an ideal first race, but I'd like to give it a go. Not at all interested in times, but it would be nice to get round with a little bit of self respect!

Thanks for any advice

Re: Fat man runs up hill

Ok, my two penneth...

long runs - do some flatter longer runs, once a week. Shock the body a little and get it used to the idea of the distance - if anything starts hurting stop! The body needs to adjust to the distance and working for that length of time. Nice stead and slow but not necessarily as long as the race!

shorter hillier runs, do a couple of these for two weeks before the event but stop in the last week. Quicker with more effort - use you breathing to judge what is comfortable. half to a third of the length of the event.

In the week of the event, just one or two shorter runs.

Don't expect miracles. Over doing anything at this point will lead to injury.

Check out your diet. Look at eating avoid the heavily processed stuff and ensure plenty of veg.

Moderation, everything in moderation, including moderation.

Well, I'd have to agree with that!!

Quote Originally Posted by mountain bag View Post

Moderation, everything in moderation, including moderation.

Quote Originally Posted by whichwaytothepub View Post
    Hello folks. Fairly new to this game but finding it suspiciously addictive....

I've found myself agreeing to join some friends in the Simonside Cairns in three weeks - 11 miles & 1400 feet. Currently I'm doing 9 miles on the flat and 6 on the fells, so it's going to be pushing the envelope a little!

My instinct is to get one long-ish, slow run in on the flat - maybe 12 miles or more - and maybe half a dozen fell runs of 6 miles or longer. Does that sound like a reasonable idea? If so, when should I do my long run? ASAP, presumably, to give myself time to recover.

I realise three weeks is not an ideal training schedule, and 11 miles is not an ideal first race, but I'd like to give it a go. Not at all interested in times, but it would be nice to get round with a little bit of self respect!

Thanks for any advice
    when are you doing it??

I think you will be fine - as you say - a good idea to get in some longer runs beforehand and then go and enjoy

Cheers for the advice.

Had a few runs this week, including a short, fast one yesterday. Out on the fells this evening and for all I could tell I was wearing concrete boots. Absolutely knackered within ten minutes.

All a bit disheartening, but arrived back at the car 20 minutes earlier than usual, which cheered me up some. Gotta learn to pace myself.

Now, this moderation lark. It doesn't apply to beer does it?

I don't believe Mr Wilde was moderate in anything he did.