Thread: one runner's dilemma

one runner's dilemma

No not which pair of shoes is most appropriate for todays run but this is a stab at my current dilemma.

I've just completed my first season as a fell runner (M30+) nothing special but starting to get into the top 40/50 ish of the bigger local events. I've not completed at a national event yet. Next year I might even start a training diary (mostly to see if my good days/bad days have a pattern).

The club I am currently a member of is based around a derbyshire town and mostly into road running - something which is far too dull (all those flat bits!) and too painful on my soft feet (once a week seems to prevent injuries). I'll run a sub 40 10k next year just to prove I can and might even go for a sub 1:30 half just so I can tick them off the 'todo' list.

Often I turn up at fell races and I'm regularly the only club member so often don't wear the club vest so that I don't draw too much attention to myself (Billy of No-Mates not Bland fame !). I look enviously towards people huddled in small groups of matching tops, chatting away before the gun. There is one other club member who occasionally appears, a MV40 who usually finishes and a minute ahead on my good days. He and one other club runner are the last two in the club faster than me. Am determined to change such matters in the not too distant future - I've improved about 10% a year, for the past two years - although I don't much like front running - I always go off too fast and suffer later (surely its the only way too run?).

I look towards the brown and striped vest of the Dark Peak and think - too many, just another nameless vest for I will never be in the top 10. There are a number of other clubs locally (within an hours drive) buxton, matlock, north derbyshire, totley, the ubiquitous DFPR, pennine (at a real stretch), white peak (a fell running myth surely?). I do the OMM (still trying to find a semi competitive non broken partner to do this with), I like the idea of doing a BGR, High Peak Marathon, Saunders(dry feet?), LAMM, Dorset Round and other slightly left-field activities (longer and sillier the better - if the event doesn't cause me to wonder 'why' at least once I'm not that interested). Would also like to do some of the more renound fell races (ben, 3 peaks etc)

Any suggestions, all thoughts and opinions welcome.

Re: one runner's dilema

My suggestion is to errr... do them and tick them off your list. What's the dilemma?
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

M-B,
    My advice would be to just turn up at a couple of club evening training sessions, most (if not all) involved in fell running are a relaxed, anarchic bunch, who usually welcome all-comers..... Even of the Darkside (only kidding Darth!).... So, if I were you have a peek at some club websites, suss out something which suits.... and turn up with a decent torch, suitable kit, and a good sense of humour.... and often the world is never quite the same again!!!

DPFR have an extensive "training" programme.... PFR a regular Thursday session + club handicap races/events.... and Glossopdale are out and about Tuesday & Thursdays... Buxton, Matlock, Totley etc are bound to have/do similar...

(and as Grouse says, just start ticking 'em off.....)

Have fun!!!
    Miss Muddy Paws Dad....
    Not clever & often stupid..

Master and MR

well for 3 years i have been virtually the only fell runner at ilkeston so ive joined pennine and had an amazing time and been introduced to some wonderful people.
    I think your worrying to much about it all
    basically with fellrunning if your not from an area with fells your only gonna get out of this magical sport what you put in. You have to travel, pennine is about a good hour from me but well worth the trip now and again, if i could get every week i could.
    you will find a different attitude at fell clubs.
    more relaxed, more down to earth, running with people who love the fells.
    with regards to standing alone at fell races , yes i admit ive been there but as time goes by you keep seeing lots of the same faces and after a while through either this forum , new club, talking to people you will soon start to have loads of friends.
    get on a few recces and see how friendly we are

Re: one runner's dilemma

thanks, mostly just scouting for info, or something I've missed like an unknown club or something.

I guess I feel a little guilty about looking towards other clubs. I know how folks react when they've heard about one of our runners appearing in other peoples colours at an event. It don't bother me, happy to have folks to chat to.

I had noticed a certain PFR (or should that be East German FR?) collective on the forums. It is quite a long way for me and I was a bit bothered people wouldn't talk to me if I can't turn up regularly week in week out.

Some of the websites are difficult to understand. I used to build sites for a living but some are just strange - not sure how it reflects on the club though?

My idea of training is 'run fast when I feel good' and 'run slow when I don't' - actually I think I race like that as well...