when you say smallest gear
    have you got a triple fitted??????????????????/
    You what, mate?
    It's the socks talking.

david

Re: Two wheels bad

Quote Originally Posted by Currant Bunbury View Post
    You what, mate?
    What Daz meant was how many gears has the bike got and are you using them.

I think he was maybe shocked that anyone would suggest you need a triple on the roads!!!.... :-P

Some advice for the OP:-

Major one - make sure you're set up properly - take your shoes off, drop one crank to the lowest position, make sure you're sat straight on the saddle (no rocking to one side), then if you have a straight leg which touches the pedals at the ball of your feet, then you are at the right height. If in time you find you get pain in the front of your knees your saddle is too low, in the rear of them it's too high. Everyone is slightly different so play around and find out what works for you (for example I prefer to be high up, well forward on the saddle, and with my feet in more of a running position than with them flat - but this is not supposed to be good for a cyclist, but it works for me).

1)Stick to it, the more time you spend on your bike the better you get. It may possibly have a good effect on your running (then again it could also be negative you have to find out what happens for yourself)

2)Use smaller gears and cadences of 90+RPM

3)But don't forget to get used to pushing big gears from time to time - this takes strength and development.

4)Spin off after hard sessions to loosen your legs off.

5)Remember if you're running hard and cycling hard you may be doing different disciplines, but you're not recovering.

6)OK it's about the rider and not the bike, but a better quality bike can make a difference (in durability, weight, reliability).

7)Consider what gears you are using as well - what's the current setup?
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

Thanks very much.

I'll have a footer with the setup later on - that sounds like a good place to start. I'm not sure when I'll next get out riding, but I'll give it a go tomorrow and see how I get on with that advice. Cheers.
    It's the socks talking.

At what point do i remove the shopping basket?

Just been on the turbo trainer tonight, then a quick warmdown session afterwards, just noticed that I've managed to crack the top tube - not sure when I did that but pretty glad it didn't come apart when I was riding it. Sounds like I need to get a new frame for the winter bike - think I am going to build it into a cyclocrosser. At least it's the old bike, and not the new one, otherwise I'd be really sick at having to spend a bomb on a new frame!! I wouldn't use the dream bike on the turbo trainer anyway.

Was considering getting rollers, maybe with a turbo trainer integrated as I though they may be better for the frames - less strain??? Anyone got any experience?

Mind you I also like the idea of one of those computer integrated turbo trainers as well, but not sure I would want to spend the best part of £500 on a trainer I won't use that much.
    Last edited by AllanT; 11-12-2007 at 12:58 AM.
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alf Tupper View Post
    At what point do i remove the shopping basket?

Should be no need as long as it doesn't foul your aerobars. It gives you a handy to reach place for your drinks bottles and snacks for the Ironman....
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

Cheers Allan , i need somewhere for my Fish suppers

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Currant Bunbury View Post

I'll persevere and see if I can get this beaten. I don't like not being able to do something.
    That seems like a good scheme.

I get off and have a rest and pretend I'm looking at the view or fixing something so the people don't think I'm just knackered. That and bloody mindedness are good tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I get off and have a rest and pretend I'm looking at the view or fixing something so the people don't think I'm just knackered. .
    equally useful tactics when running - just proves that cross training works!