Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Two wheels bad

Re: Two wheels bad

Time to put on the dull Sports Scientist hat.... As a general rule cycling fitness transfers well to running but not so much the other way round (why triathletes skew their training to the bike). The reason for this is due to muscle fibre recruitment. When you cycle every peddle stroke is like pushing a weight (obviously more so when going uphill).. that "weight" includes you and the bike. Add in additional resistance from friction and lost energy through gear transmission etc and you'll be recruiting most of your fibres. Running simply doesn't need so much recruitment so the legs don't get as strong. That's why a runner can get on a bike and feel fine in the heart and lungs but their legs will be toast.....

Actually I disagree, I definitely felt I was riding a lot better when I was doing a lot of running training - I could simply spin off the front of bunches while going up hill without much effort too.

OK maybe that is in part more related to physiology - being much fitter doing quality training for example?
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AllanT View Post
    Actually I disagree, I definitely felt I was riding a lot better when I was doing a lot of running training - I could simply spin off the front of bunches while going up hill without much effort too.

OK maybe that is in part more related to physiology - being much fitter doing quality training for example?
    I assume you were already cycling already and therefore had the leg strength... the quality running would have kicked up your LT/AT and given you a bit more welly.. however if you'd not ever ridden before it would have been a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by nikalas View Post
    I assume you were already cycling already and therefore had the leg strength... the quality running would have kicked up your LT/AT and given you a bit more welly.. however if you'd not ever ridden before it would have been a different story.
    Well actually I was running before I was riding, and I didn't start riding a bike again until I was 26 - I had last ridden a bike before that when I was 10 years old!! And I used to suffer on it, but later on I found that I was a lot better on the bike after taking up running (and also having done racewalking prior to that).

I can even stay in the saddle when riding up hills that other strong cyclists have to get out of the saddle to ride!! I generally overtake them too.
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

Senior Member NotVeryMiniMarvin's Avatar

ride today.not a long but annoying.went along very muddy track near whaley bridge then,instead of doing loop,turned round coz it woz so much fun.just after turning round rear brake went.carried on with just front brake then got to steep downhill and front brake went.that then meant riding the uphill and not the fun downhill.

What brakes are you using?

Might be worth getting your LBS to take a skeat at them if they keep failing like that!!!

Getting a cyclocross bike for a winter bike now - there's not enough cyclocross to justify just getting one for cross riding over here, but as my winterbike's frame is knackered I can justify getting one to use as a winter bike - will stip everything else off the old one so it will be quite cheap to build up. The spec will be:-

Dolan Cyclocross Frames
    Campag vento wheels
    Campag Centaur Groupset
    ITM bars
    3T stem
    At the moment have a selle Gel Saddle, but I think I will probably get another SL as I prefer them!

Just trying to choose a good tyre for mixed road training (Winter in bunches) together with Off road riding down not to bad trails and over muddy fields.
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

mechanical discs.think it might need new pads due to grit and sandy puddles up to bottom bracket. great fun though.first time they have failed though.

Cx bikes are bloody great. Did the Fred Whitton on mine and was all set fer the 3 Peaks again 'til they cancelled it. If you are after a tyre to do on and off road reasonably well then Landcruisers seem to be flavour of the month.

bike sorted.took it to lbs and a bit of fiddling around=working brakes

Got one mechanical disk brake (in my bits box), though never actually used them myself - tend to go for hydralics. From what I've heard though I wouldn't profess to be an expert on them at all, but they are only just as effective as rim brakes. Hydralic disks, while costing a little more are the dogs b@llocks!!

In short if you have the money and the choice, I'd say use hydralics, but if not then stick with rims rather than mechanical disks (at least in my predjudicial opinion. But they're still all crap when you compare them to hydralics (excepting proper road brakes of course which are all good in their appropriate environment). You can modulate a lot better on hydralics and they use far less finger strength to stop than mechanical brakes.

Mind you the crosser will have canti's so have to get used to them!! Apparently they need a lot of adjustment too!!

If you want the bling of the brake world, go for the Juicy Ultimates!!! I have!!!
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!