Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Three Peaks Training

Re: 3 peaks race training

I'm feeling the draw, too. I've got to go back and do better next time. Think we're moving to Edinburgh soon though, so I'll be training on the Pentlands, again.
    Think I peaked at Blubberhouses and have got slower since, funnily enough as my home-brewing output has gone up.

Quote Originally Posted by Brotherton Lad View Post
    It's a different kettle of fish, Sam. My last road marathon was 2 years ago at 3:09 (at 50 years old and 39 mins off my best), the 3P took me 4:45. I was under-trained, set off too fast and had blown it by the ascent of Whernside. The rest of the race (which is about the second half) was merely a matter of finishing and still being upright, I spent an embarassing proportion of that time walking.
    What sort of age are you and what's your longest race to date, what time and was it road or not? You need to get some fell running experience. The qualifying requirements are there for a good reason.
    Race-wise I have very little fell experience, though I've been doing a few fell runs around the 10 mile mark. My longest race was that sub 90 min half marathon. I'm 21 so fortunately have youth on my side!

Don't worry I appreciate I've got a long way to go before being fit enough for the 3Ps - I walked it in 9 hours 30 mins last week,and was absolutely knackered after that! Thanks for your advice! :-)

I'd think of a 2-pronged approach, if you're aiming for the 3P in 2011.
    Use road or trail running to stretch your longest runs up to 20 or 22 miles.
    Get on the fells to develop ascending fitness and descending technique and taking on food on the hoof.
    Then select some AM and BM races, finally look at some AL races as qualifying events. Long races start from 12 miles.

I reckon trail is much better prep than road though BL - they are generally better quality miles aren't they, in terms of strengthening up the legs and ankles. And less likely to pick up injury from long mileage maybe?

I did all my training for fell races in Surrey Hills / North Downs, and I knew that if I could do 20 miles round there and chuck in some hill reps, then I could cope with Borrowdale or the 3Ps

Trail would be better as a halfway house between road and fell. It depends where Sam lives.
    As an already reasonably quick half marathon runner, though, I reckon he could get up to 20 miles on the road in about 4 to 6 weeks (say 2 hours 30). That would be a great jumping off point for a transition to long fell races (and also to appreciate the difference between 20 miles road and 20 miles fell).

Also take a look at LDWA challenge events, many of which welcome runners. Cheap as chips, food provided, chance to navigate, learn to carry kit, pleasant scenery and excellent traning value.
    http://www.ldwa.org.uk/challenge_eve...L&event_type=N
    Last edited by Brotherton Lad; 07-09-2010 at 11:08 AM.

Speaking of the LDWA, I've just sent my entry off for The Rombalds Stride. A great run/race (whatever you want to do really) & good training for the 3 P's to see where you're at !

Quote Originally Posted by Brotherton Lad View Post
    Trail would be better as a halfway house between road and fell. It depends where Sam lives.
    As an already reasonably quick half marathon runner, though, I reckon he could get up to 20 miles on the road in about 4 to 6 weeks (say 2 hours 30). That would be a great jumping off point for a transition to long fell races (and also to appreciate the difference between 20 miles road and 20 miles fell).

Also take a look at LDWA challenge events, many of which welcome runners. Cheap as chips, food provided, chance to navigate, learn to carry kit, pleasant scenery and excellent traning value.
    http://www.ldwa.org.uk/challenge_eve...L&event_type=N
    When I'm at home (Chester) it's not too bad as I can borrow my parent's car and shoot off to the Clywyd's which are just down the road, or to Delamere Forest which offers some good trail running. When I'm at uni (Lancaster) it's a bit more of a problem as I have no car - though it is pretty hilly round there so better in that respect I suppose. I'll have to see if I can grab a lift with the hiking club as they go up to the Lakes around weekend.

I've just started building up the mileage (or had until I got a cold at least) so am hoping to be at 20 miles within six weeks, then it's just a matter of getting as much times in the fells as I can, oh and do some events to qualify as well!

I'll have a look at those LDWA events, thanks for that. I've heard at some of them runners are frowned upon though?

Super Moderator

A few LDWA event organisers discourage runners but the majority welcome them The challenges make good social training runs and often small groups of runners informally team up to run together. There's usually a nice crossover between the quicker walkers and the slower walkers too

Yes, some do, Sam. So I always check with the organiser. or get an idea by looking at previous results. I've joined the LDWA anyway, as my wife can walk the half, while I bimble round the full distance. There's alot of events in N Lancashire and the southern Lakes.
    The websites or entry forms often say 'runners welcome' or 'walkers start at 8am, runners at 9am', for example. It's the ones where the CPs only open at a walkers' pace that you need to be wary of. It's the organisers' call. There's a whole thread about runners and LDWA on their forum (generally favourable, the group was getting older and sparser), you may have to register to read, I can't remember.

Funnily, some runners take the LDWA events very seriously ! Complaining if people take short cuts etc. ! Like BL, I use them as training runs & thoroughly enjoy them.