Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Golf

Banned
    It’s a sad end for a course that once hosted such as Sarazen and Cotton.
    Peter Alliss’s Dad was the pro there pre war, and it was in the running as a Ryder cup venue.

But it was never looked after , it was a mess when I played there a few times 30 years ago.
    The greens were not looked after.

Although this decision to close it, has the smell of labour council f.u. Politics about it.
    They probably see it as too “bourgeoisie”: which says they don’t know much about golfers!

Stagger, pannal is a good test, not far away, and wasn’t pricey.
    Baildon similar. Don’t know about now. Fulford more expensive but worth paying.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Yesterday evening (30/09) the Temple Newsam Board of Directors met with representatives of Leeds City Council (LCC).

In this meeting the board of directors were informed that plans had been drawn up by LCC to change Temple Newsam into a country park creating a “Road-safety park, family cycle trails and potential event space at Temple Newsam”.

To implement these plans would result in the closure of both golf courses.

The above was a letter posted in the club.

The course is crossed by various trails and bridle paths already. Runners, walkers, cyclists and horses already use the park.

There should be compromise and space for everyone.

Blood councils.
    Last edited by Oracle; 29-12-2019 at 09:43 PM.

Bedworth, where I live (immediately north of Cov) has a fantastic Miners Welfare Park (it’s an old mining town)... A great facility for a town with little else going for it...

One of the best features was a good sized pitch-and-putt golf course... free to go and play on, no booking required, just turn up with your clubs and go round...

The council in their wisdom last year, decided it needed to be converted to a “frisbee golf” course... so instead of greens and holes, there are now large baskets you apparently aim the frisbee at.... this is Bedworth for f***s sake, it is not a sophisticated place... end result, no bugger uses it at all now, it’s just going to ruin. Absolute disgrace...

In the brief couple of years I bothered to hack round, we'd turn up on a sunny evening... 7 iron, sand wedge and putter (and usually a few cans of lager) and have a great time....

My “career” ended one evening when I went down alone for some practice... after slicing yet another tee shot straight out across the railway line, I threw my club in frustration... it landed so high in a tree that I lost the club too... walked home and I’ve never picked up a club since...

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    There was a rather strange golf club closure around my way recently. Park Hill Golf Club, near the village of Seagrave, suddenly announced that it was closing. The staff were told that they were redundant. The members weren't even able to get into the clubhouse to retrieve any belongings they had left there. No prior notice, no explanation, no apologies, nothing.

Then several months later, Leicester City Football Club announced that they were putting in a planning application for a new, state-of-the-art training facility on the site (which has now started construction).
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Banned
    I’ve seen one or two have regrets when their favourite driver failed to drop out of the tree into which it was unceremoniously hurled! One poor fellow lost a second club trying to dislodge the first, much to the mirth of the rest of us!

Coventry - I recollect watching one Tony Jacklin strutting his stuff round Finham Park, which at the time hosted a tour event ( hint...it was before the belfry even had golf courses! Let alone a Ryder Cup! , at a time it was possible to play 18 holes in under 3 hours, and real golfers used 1 and 2 irons!

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Bedworth, where I live (immediately north of Cov) has a fantastic Miners Welfare Park (it’s an old mining town)... A great facility for a town with little else going for it...

One of the best features was a good sized pitch-and-putt golf course... free to go and play on, no booking required, just turn up with your clubs and go round...

The council in their wisdom last year, decided it needed to be converted to a “frisbee golf” course... so instead of greens and holes, there are now large baskets you apparently aim the frisbee at.... this is Bedworth for f***s sake, it is not a sophisticated place... end result, no bugger uses it at all now, it’s just going to ruin. Absolute disgrace...

In the brief couple of years I bothered to hack round, we'd turn up on a sunny evening... 7 iron, sand wedge and putter (and usually a few cans of lager) and have a great time....

My “career” ended one evening when I went down alone for some practice... after slicing yet another tee shot straight out across the railway line, I threw my club in frustration... it landed so high in a tree that I lost the club too... walked home and I’ve never picked up a club since...
    Last edited by Oracle; 29-12-2019 at 11:02 PM.

Banned
    A nice round a Stensall nr York.
    38 stableford points 😊

Banned
    A nice round a Stensall nr York.
    38 stableford points ��
    Aldwark manor in that neck of the woods was cheap, quiet and made for a pleasant round.
    Played there a few times some years ago.

Banned
    Nice walk round this morning with sensible folks.

Flags left in on every hole.
    Stood well apart.
    No contact with any other equipment.
    No handshakes.
    Club house and locker room closed.

Good sunny day.

Stood well apart.
    No handshakes.

Good sunny day.
    Hole in One?
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Banned
    Not today.
    A two was my best.

Banned
    Own up! What’s your handicap stagger?

Stood well apart.
    No handshakes.

Good sunny day.