Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cross Country 2023-24

Cross Country 2023-24

League fixtures are out, will soon be that time again.

Bought some spikes this year, taking it seriously!

Not seen a venue for the National yet though.

The National is at Weston Park, Shifnal this year on 24th February.

Quote Originally Posted by galbraith View Post
    The National is at Weston Park, Shifnal this year on 24th February.
    I heard rumours to that effect last week.

Looks like it will be quite a flat course.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Looks like it will be quite a flat course.
    Ye gods, Pete! In the name of sanity I insist you complete a Kendal winter league.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Ye gods, Pete! In the name of sanity I insist you complete a Kendal winter league.
    As much as i'd love to... i take all the training and advice my club can throw at me, they enter us into all the major championship races for free, and we even get "bonuses" if we run well enough in certain races.... all for not much more than what a month at a posh gym would cost... the very least i can do is turn out for them when needed.
    Last edited by Travs; 09-09-2023 at 08:21 PM.

I'm careful not to get too embedded into all the club culture, but with your level of talent you stand to gain considerably. With my old bones I need to have the freedom to come and go as I please or I'll just end up injured.

Midlands Cross Country Relays today at the always decent Aldersley Park in Wolverhampton.

6km of generally decent ground considering the recent weather, ranging from slightly rough field, to disused railway line muddy "trail", to good running on the grass near the leisure centre. What i particularly like about this venue is the numerous changes underfoot.... coming up a steep bank, onto good running on the railway line, then onto the slosh of a muddy field, then back to good stuff.

I went out on the opening leg today, and benefitted from having a large field to chase.... positing up 22:14 (although it was a couple of hundred metres short of the advertised 6km).

Pushed on well on the 2nd lap and made at least half a dozen places.

Both our teams were a little understrength today, however we were 9th senior team and my masters team were 7th. Had we thrown all our eggs in the masters basket we would've had a medalling team, but our fastest v35's were used in the senior team instead.

First time i've ever worn spikes today... having always previously worn fell shoes... i am converted!

By far and away my best ever XC run today.... whether i just had a freakishly good run, or it was a bit early in the season for my clubmates, but i was matching (and beating) some of the guys i would class in the next bracket up in the club.... ie decent club runners who are regularly capable of 5km times comfortably in the 17's on the road.

Proof will be if i can live with them in a few weeks at the first league race. I certainly put the effort in today... recorded a new max heart rate, and my watch has advised me to take 3.5 days rest!
    Last edited by Travs; 21-10-2023 at 06:55 PM.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Midlands Cross Country Relays today at the always decent Aldersley Park in Wolverhampton.

6km of generally decent ground considering the recent weather, ranging from slightly rough field, to disused railway line muddy "trail", to good running on the grass near the leisure centre. What i particularly like about this venue is the numerous changes underfoot.... coming up a steep bank, onto good running on the railway line, then onto the slosh of a muddy field, then back to good stuff.

I went out on the opening leg today, and benefitted from having a large field to chase.... positing up 22:14 (although it was a couple of hundred metres short of the advertised 6km).

Pushed on well on the 2nd lap and made at least half a dozen places.

Both our teams were a little understrength today, however we were 9th senior team and my masters team were 7th. Had we thrown all our eggs in the masters basket we would've had a medalling team, but our fastest v35's were used in the senior team instead.

First time i've ever worn spikes today... having always previously worn fell shoes... i am converted!

By far and away my best ever XC run today.... whether i just had a freakishly good run, or it was a bit early in the season for my clubmates, but i was matching (and beating) some of the guys i would class in the next bracket up in the club.... ie decent club runners who are regularly capable of 5km times comfortably in the 17's on the road.

Proof will be if i can live with them in a few weeks at the first league race. I certainly put the effort in today... recorded a new max heart rate, and my watch has advised me to take 3.5 days rest!
    Well done Travs. My cross country days are long over but you are right about spikes - they make a huge difference.
    As to watches advising rest - if I obeyed mine I would run about three times a week.

Great run Travs (having seen the results). Definitely your best xc result.

Quote Originally Posted by gazb View Post
    Great run Travs (having seen the results). Definitely your best xc result.
    Chances of it leading to a higher position in the Birmingham League though

League seems to get stronger every year!