Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Ribble Valley 10K

Re: Ribble Valley 10K

Did this race last year hoping for a marked improvement on my time this year possibly a PB?

I think my time was 39mins on this course.

Bloody £12 !!

Deffo a no from me, but I'll be down to watch!

Quote Originally Posted by ukhursty View Post
    Bloody £12 !!

Deffo a no from me, but I'll be down to watch!
    We kept the price down for years - but last year we had to go traffic free as instructed by RV Council.
    The costs for the traffic management are quite extensive as any race organisers will tell you.

I can see many road races being forced to pack in as a result of this cost being unsustainable and we already seem to have lost one or two. Waddington 10K, Chorley 4 miles - which have been forced in to the Park for a trail race.

The permits now also insist on water being available, extra toilets etc.....

So they will not be getting cheaper.

Even the fells are coming under some pressure - the cost of closing off the road at Rivington Pike for example.

Just for further info - at least the money goes back in to the sport.

The club has an athlete development fund which has paid out upwards of £6000 to junior and senior athletes in the last couple of years and this will continue, thanks to the funds we raise mainly from hosting the RV10K.

This has gone to assist Fell Runners as well as other athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    We kept the price down for years - but last year we had to go traffic free as instructed by RV Council.
    The costs for the traffic management are quite extensive as any race organisers will tell you.

I can see many road races being forced to pack in as a result of this cost being unsustainable and we already seem to have lost one or two. Waddington 10K, Chorley 4 miles - which have been forced in to the Park for a trail race.

The permits now also insist on water being available, extra toilets etc.....

So they will not be getting cheaper.

Even the fells are coming under some pressure - the cost of closing off the road at Rivington Pike for example.
    Must be a hell of a fee!! I mean if you get 1500 runners this year, at the lower price of £10 a head for arguments sake, thats £15,000 !

Ofcourse there are costs for water and toilets and traffic management, I would like to see the breakdown, to understand the true cost.

But if you get 1500 runners then fair play, people must be willing to pay it!

Quote Originally Posted by ukhursty View Post
    Must be a hell of a fee!! I mean if you get 1500 runners this year, at the lower price of £10 a head for arguments sake, thats £15,000 !

Ofcourse there are costs for water and toilets and traffic management, I would like to see the breakdown, to understand the true cost.

But if you get 1500 runners then fair play, people must be willing to pay it!
    I don't have the breakdown as I'm not on the organising committee. But we do not get 1500 runners, we are allowed 1500 - if we get that fantastic and it goes back in to athletics.

It is one of the best prize funds in the area - with a free T shirt to all.

If we get only 750 runners our costs are still the same - still the same road closures, prize fund, T Shirts available, water, toilets, start/finish officials, results service, hire of Leisure Centre .....

and as I said, whatever is made goes back to the athletes.

http://www.urbanathlon.co.uk/index.p...ownload&gid=16
    Try this is one

this is a nice race though was outsprinted by Ron Hill last year who got his revenge on me after i narrowly beat him at Ravenstondale a few weeks earlier. its well worth running especially on closed roads. cant ask for much more!!

Quote Originally Posted by Man from Del Monte View Post
    this is a nice race though was outsprinted by Ron Hill last year who got his revenge on me after i narrowly beat him at Ravenstondale a few weeks earlier. its well worth running especially on closed roads. cant ask for much more!!
    Are you doing Ravenstonedale on Saturday mate? I sent an entry form off but have not got anything back

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Head View Post
    Are you doing Ravenstonedale on Saturday mate? I sent an entry form off but have not got anything back
    Yes, I think you collect your number there, but i entered on line. see you there but i am not very fit (not that I ever was)