Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast

Thread: Ribble Valley 10K

and another even more stonking run from Marc who's having a great winter, breaking Farah's indoor 5k record.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletic...nfpQ2-iRlDK2Es
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    and another even more stonking run from Marc who's having a great winter, breaking Farah's indoor 5k record.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletic...nfpQ2-iRlDK2Es
    Yes, an incredible performance. He flew past me at the National Cross relays in November too and it reminded me of FRA Junior days.
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

I'm provisionally looking at this for next year.

Would fit in well with my current 2024 calendar and give me something different to work at in the latter part of the year.

This autumn/winter has gone well with a similar approach and the Brampton-Carlisle 10 in November.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I'm provisionally looking at this for next year.

Would fit in well with my current 2024 calendar and give me something different to work at in the latter part of the year.

This autumn/winter has gone well with a similar approach and the Brampton-Carlisle 10 in November.
    that's our race Travs and always popular. When people run it, they wonder why it is a fast course as it isn't flat.
    I think it's about when the inclines come in the race - the main drag is from about 1/4 mile and lasts about 1 mile and climbs about 150ft but the momentum of the race carries you through it and then the next 2 miles drop around the same 150ft.
    Back in the day when I was chasing a sub 40 was shocked to get to the mile marker in 5:48! I managed a 38:50. Not the ideal way to run.
    Having said that the start was 400 yards back up towards Clitheroe then so the mile marker was before the top of the drag.
    Then there's 2 short kick ups, but they are both preceded by a nice long flat or slightly down section so really helps the average pace.
    But it's very well organised and well worth thr trip.

If you decide to take part give us a shout nearer the time and if you come up north and fancy a recce, quite happy to take you round - but I'd be slow - around and hour at the moment :/
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

I've been looking around for another road 10k following last weekends fiasco at Bolsover. I want to get under 40 mins before I fall apart!

The few decent ones available at this time of year, including Ribble, are sold out and I refuse to enter others which are obviously commercial enterprises by the extortionate entry fee and the promise of some "bespoke" Chinese bling to hang around ones neck.

Hopefully I'll find one early next year.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

obviously its a year to Ribble Valley 2024, but i'll be keeping an eye out for when entries open, and i'll keep you posted Llani.

I posted 38.07 during the Brampton-Carlisle, although i expect there was a nett downhill in that. Although given it would be a dedicated 10km i would set a lofty target of sub-38..... but there's a lot can happen in the next year!
    Last edited by Travs; 13-12-2023 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I've been looking around for another road 10k following last weekends fiasco at Bolsover. I want to get under 40 mins before I fall apart!

The few decent ones available at this time of year, including Ribble, are sold out and I refuse to enter others which are obviously commercial enterprises by the extortionate entry fee and the promise of some "bespoke" Chinese bling to hang around ones neck.

Hopefully I'll find one early next year.
    Salford is a decent one usually Easter Weekend.
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell

I'm thinking of giving the Half Moon Bay 10k in Morecambe a go on January 21st. Looks flattish along the prom and also EOD which is always a bonus.

WP, its sort of in your neck of the woods and I wondered if you had any info on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I'm thinking of giving the Half Moon Bay 10k in Morecambe a go on January 21st. Looks flattish along the prom and also EOD which is always a bonus.

WP, its sort of in your neck of the woods and I wondered if you had any info on it?
    I don't know the race, but I know the prom very well. It's flat there but much will depend on the prevailing wind conditions on the day.
    I think there might be an up and over at the start and finish looking at the race route. the rest is pan flat.

Would you be staying up overnight? I know some good camper spots if you have a van or M/H.
    Last edited by Witton Park; 15-12-2023 at 12:45 PM.
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell

Thanks WP.

I'll be travelling up in the morning having taken the weather forecast into consideration. That's why I'm pleased its EOD.