Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Waterproof jacket

what waterproof jacket?

hi,

usually dont bother with a waterproof coz theyre not really breathable when running, just use a windshell.

however, planning to do some multiday trips or races where you need/rules say waterproof with taped seams.

so i'm looking at an event jacket like a rab drilium. should i also look at the omm kamelika? anyone used any of these?

i know that a waterproof aint going to breath that much when running, but i'm thinking its better to have something a bit more substantial when i'm going slow rather than a superlight super thin one?

any opinions appreciated

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

Re: what waterproof jacket?

I'm happy with my Lowe Alpine Adrenaline smock.
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

Depending on your budget and weight issues I agree, you probably want to look at something more breathable than the Adrenaline / Precip type jackets, ie eVent or Paclite. eVent probably is the most breathable currently and as you say Rab's Drillium and the Montane jackets are nice examples. Paclite, well currently the lightest is made by Haglofs and there's some stuff on it on outdoorsmagic.com. My old adrenaline was one of the least breathable fabrics I've ever used but was very light and well priced; my better half's precip is an improvement, but my 3 year old superfly is really very breathable for a waterproof. Not a patch on pertex but then the rules say taped!

The Haglofs sounds a bit of a one trick pony as it's so light and has no hood. The Drillium and Superfly type jackets are also useful for general hillwalking, mountaineering and ski-ing etc. eVent needs to be kept clean though.

HTH

Ben B

i had a lowe jacket, it was rubbish to be honest, i ended up wetter from sweat than the rain!

i think i'm being swayed towards e-vent, but i'd be interested to hear about any one using an omm jacket - this might sound stupid but they dont sound expensive enough to be any good!

Graeme

I've used an OMM jacket for the last year seems ok to me. To be honest with I find it good in the foulest of weathers, I wouldn't carry it for a race unless I needed to, it's a bit too bulky when packed for my liking.

Banned

I use a montane 200 which is fully waterproof and claimed to be breathable but I sweat like a pig in it when it's fully zipped up in foul conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    .. but I sweat like a pig in it when it's fully zipped up in foul conditions.
    Pigs do not sweat.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikepedia
    Pigs do not have functional sweat glands,so pigs cool themselves using water or mud during hot weather. They also use mud as a form of sunscreen to protect their skin from sunburn. Mud also provides protection against flies and parasites.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

however, planning to do some multiday trips or races where you need/rules say waterproof with taped seams.
    Really its two jackets you need

For racing needs to be as light as possible cause if you are racing you won't be wearing it and if you do need to put it on its because of an emergency and rather than needing breathability you need to trap heat in and keep the wind off.

On the other hand for multi day trips (I take it your camping) breathability as well as being weatherproof is important as you need to be able to keep your clothes dry, when your working hard you'll still get wet but if you slow down before you set up camp by the time the tents up you can have dried out quite a lot.

I've got an old Rock & Run cag I use for races not breathable at all, if the weather looks iffy I put a montane 200 in instead (I'll also take the montane 200 camping if the forcast is good on short camping trips)

If I need to wear a waterproof jacket I use a montane event jacket (looks like a superfly but has only got a short zip) this is offers a lot more protection as it resists the wind a lot more and you can dry out when your not going so fast.

Bill

well, just to confuse things a bit more i bought a softshell at the weekend. not exactly what i was looking for but its a montane event softshell £140, got it for £19.99 in TKMAXX!!!!!