Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Waterproof jacket

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

what waterproof jacket?

hi,

usually dont bother with a waterproof coz theyre not really breathable when running, just use a windshell.

however, planning to do some multiday trips or races where you need/rules say waterproof with taped seams.

so i'm looking at an event jacket like a rab drilium. should i also look at the omm kamelika? anyone used any of these?

i know that a waterproof aint going to breath that much when running, but i'm thinking its better to have something a bit more substantial when i'm going slow rather than a superlight super thin one?

any opinions appreciated

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

Re: what waterproof jacket?

I'm happy with my Lowe Alpine Adrenaline smock.
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

Depending on your budget and weight issues I agree, you probably want to look at something more breathable than the Adrenaline / Precip type jackets, ie eVent or Paclite. eVent probably is the most breathable currently and as you say Rab's Drillium and the Montane jackets are nice examples. Paclite, well currently the lightest is made by Haglofs and there's some stuff on it on outdoorsmagic.com. My old adrenaline was one of the least breathable fabrics I've ever used but was very light and well priced; my better half's precip is an improvement, but my 3 year old superfly is really very breathable for a waterproof. Not a patch on pertex but then the rules say taped!

The Haglofs sounds a bit of a one trick pony as it's so light and has no hood. The Drillium and Superfly type jackets are also useful for general hillwalking, mountaineering and ski-ing etc. eVent needs to be kept clean though.

HTH

Ben B

i had a lowe jacket, it was rubbish to be honest, i ended up wetter from sweat than the rain!

i think i'm being swayed towards e-vent, but i'd be interested to hear about any one using an omm jacket - this might sound stupid but they dont sound expensive enough to be any good!

Graeme

I've used an OMM jacket for the last year seems ok to me. To be honest with I find it good in the foulest of weathers, I wouldn't carry it for a race unless I needed to, it's a bit too bulky when packed for my liking.

Waterproof jacket

I know we've been here before but I can't seem to see what was the outcome.

I've got a Montane H20 jacket and it's been out in showers before and been fine, until this morning. It lasted 30mins before I was soaking wet.

Now do I go for the OMM smock, will this last any longer? or the Hagloffs Paclite OZ, or any other suggestions?

It doesn't need to pack down to small as I seem to have enough of these, but to keep my dry when the weather is like it has been today.

Re: Waterproof jacket

I'm not sure you'll get a waterproof that would have kept you dry today.

In simple terms, the most breathable fully waterproof fabric is event, followed by paclite. In rain like today I reckon they'll both be soaking within a few minutes on the outside, so the breathability will drop right down. Any activity inside it will get sweaty quickly. The only way round this is if you never sweat...

I've never found anything that gets round this, fundamentally. Some are less bad than others but that's it.

Sorry to pee on your fire!

Ben B

lost between Blackstone Edge and Stoodley Pike

Same reply really, wet through pretty quickly. Had to keep moving to keep warm rather than relying on 'waterproof' (I think Widdy will confirm this!); so I suppose what I'm also asking is...... can a waterproof really keep you that dry in these types of conditions? (I suppose I've almost answered my own question.....no)

Gaz

I've recently bought the OMM Kamleika Smock and was out in it this afternoon for two and a half hours. I thought it did a great job of keeping out the rain and wind. I was a bit damp underneath it from sweating but it didn't seem to let any water in and I never felt cold, despite having to go a bit slower than I would normally.