Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Cardington Cracker

I was hanging onto you a bit coming off Hergest on the Kington 8 Peaks...!

Mainly out of desperation as I didn't know my way back through town to the finish!

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Not done it for about 3 years but I'm hoping to get out on Sunday.
    Looking like a cold but bright day - possibly some ice around on the tops.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

A fantastic sunny and clear day today, magnificent views, ice on top of Caradoc.... bitterly cold.

Whilst everybody I spoke to seemed to run significantly slower then previous years, I ran a pb by 6mins, clocking 1:37:30 to finish just outside the top 40.... although admittedly I’ve had two solid years of racing and training since running it last time, so anything but a big pb would have been a disappointment.

Slightly downbeat that my descending was particularly poor today, although underfoot conditions were very slippery. Had hoped to go under 1hr35, and I attribute missing my target solely to crap descending.

Enjoyed my battle with Mark Agnew of Mercia, who I always seem to find myself in close contention with... a typical one today, with him pulling at least a minute out on me on each descent, with me grinding it back and getting back on his shoulder on the flats and climbs. Unfortunately I was still a good 45 secs behind going over the third and final large climb, and he must have pulled out at least a minute on me on that very greasy descent, and there’s no way I was going to pull that gap back in the final couple of miles...

A couple of things to be pleased about.... obviously a big pb.... also was under heavy pressure from behind in the last mile, but increased the pace slightly across each field and it proved to be enough to keep me ahead, and even picked a straggler off in the final field... those track sessions must be working..! and I have to bear in mind that although I’m feeling strong from training, it was only my 3rd fell race since the end of July, so a bit of race-rust must still be there...

I bought a Cov Godiva team mate across today, who had only done his first fell race last weekend at Lee Mill... so this was a step up in distance, climb and severity, if not technical difficulty... he performed admirably... despite admitting that he found the steep climbs a terrible struggle, he came into the final field like a locomotive, and ran a creditable 1hr48 or so. If he actually buys some fell shoes and sticks with it he could pick the sport up quite well...

Hello to DaveMole... well done today, and congratulations on a successful weekend’s Fishwicking... possibly see you at Skirrid in a couple of weeks...
    Last edited by Travs; 01-12-2019 at 08:25 PM.

Looking back through the archives, it was actually 2014 the last time I did the Cracker having done it the 3 previous years too. I don't recall any of those races being as wet and muddy as today. Full ankle deep wet sloppy stuff in places and the climb up the Lawley had many clinging on to every blade of grass they could get a hand on! Other than that, it was pretty much perfect conditions, dry, bright, a slight breeze though very cold - enough for a bit of frost to be wary of but not the ice we have had in previous years.
    I got round in 1.46, 5 minutes slower than my previous best though I put at least some of that down to today's conditions rather than my aging body! 😁

Well done Pete, didn’t see you today unfortunately...

Yes it was all fours up the Lawley solely to try and keep vaguely upright...!

One guy a couple of mins in front of me ran the whole race with no top on...

I saw you at the end but I was feeling very nauseous and didn't think you'd appreciate me hurling up in front of you!

Definitely not the weather for going topless - I learnt from being far too warm at the Wrekin and got it just right today but that was still a long sleeve top with vest over.

I overtook your clubmate on the descent from hoar edge but he caught me again at Gaerstones. Managed to keep him at bay over the ridge and then dropped him on the descent. Get him in a pair of fell shoes and I'm sure he'd do great.

... And congrats on a PB. Better conditions and you'd knock another minute or 2 off that.

Well done Travs and PeteS: I had a nice jog around the route
    It was certainly slower than normal, and I did it in pretty much my slowest time. Year before last was 1:38:41, though....

he must have pulled out at least a minute on me on that very greasy descent
    Mark A always used to do that to me, too. He's an excellent descender, especially over rough stuff.

Great performance by your Godiva clubmate, too!
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Heard various reports of people running without kit, and I believe they were checking "suspicious" people at the end...

However one guy who I'm reliably informed didn't take any kit, and I think was checked, still appears in the results.

According to Charmain's post on the homepage, it's on. However it's not on SIe or in the calendar so i was wondering if anyone knows if it's pre-entry or EOD?
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent