Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: Cardington Cracker

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    According to Charmain's post on the homepage, it's on. However it's not on SIe or in the calendar so i was wondering if anyone knows if it's pre-entry or EOD?
    It is going to be pre-entry only. I'd expect entries to open up in the next week or so.

If you're on facebook then join the Shropshire Fell Running page, as all up to date info a link to entry will be posted on there.

If not, i'll keep my eye out and try to remember to post any details on here...

Good race.... i expect it'll suit you Luke... two stiff climbs with probably greasy descents.... the 2nd half of the race suits strong runners.... if you're fit enough you'll be able to run just about all of it from the 2nd summit to the finish.

Sadly i've got league XC the day before and i'm just about given up doubling up on a weekend unless its absolutely necessary.

Facebook again, eh. Yes please post something on here if you could Travs.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Have to say, i've never been to this area before, they probably don't have Theakston's Bitter.

Doesn't look like a strong course for me, no big final descent just a steady downhill run in over some fields. It's a very long drive from Leeds.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill

Have to say, i've never been to this area before, they probably don't have Theakston's Bitter.

Doesn't look like a strong course for me, no big final descent just a steady downhill run in over some fields. It's a very long drive from Leeds.
    From what I remember of the one occasion I did this race (in the 1990's), you could make up a lot of time on the "steady downhill run in over some fields" if you are quick at getting over stiles.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire

No Theakstons but some great Shropshire ale on offer. Ludlow gold is my personal favourite.
    Definitely a runnable race and a good introduction to Shropshire fell running. It has all the hallmarks of that in two hard, steep climbs to get to legs burning with corresponding descent to follow. The following climb of Gaerstones and descent from Battle Stones are the only hard/technical running after that but the final run in is not to be underestimated - there are still a couple of miles of undulating though thankfully, finally downhill paths to cross until the final run in.

Yes that last run-in can be incredibly energy sapping, i've always found it better to just gradually pick up the pace on that final mile or two... if you try to "go" too early it can really bite you.

Looking forward to this, it's been on my to do list for a few years after being recommended but have never got round to doing it. Only my second race in the area too after September's South Mynd.

A few other things to note for the novice:
    1. If there is a good turnout, the first gate out of the field can be a bit of a bottleneck. Sprint or don't waste any energy - your choice.
    2. There then follows a path which after a prolonged wet spell resembles a muddy stream. If you were hoping to retain dry socks for any length of time, forget it.

I recall my clubmate doing his first ever fell race here in 2019... Desperately trying to keep his feet dry on the warmup... i did tell him not to bother!!

Taking him to Callow in December... i'm sure he'll thank me!

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I recall my clubmate doing his first ever fell race here in 2019... Desperately trying to keep his feet dry on the warmup... i did tell him not to bother!!

Taking him to Callow in December... i'm sure he'll thank me!
    😁 At least they were dry for 2 minutes...

Callow is another level. I'm sure he'll appreciate the experience and this year it's with added mud, cold and who knows what weather.

See you there.