Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Cardington Cracker

Re: Cardington Cracker

Quote Originally Posted by Longdogs View Post
    where do the runes fit in by the way ?.
    Not sure about the runes.

Apparently they are supposed to show how the figure 4 was formed from early hindu script. The website is in Welsh!
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

This was my first ever fell race (I was 8th) and wasn't it a cracker? (arf arf).

In contrast to many other reports, I thought it was (i) too windy (ii) too wet. Perhaps I should get myself some proper shoes to keep me upright.

Are all fell races as tiring as this?

In the middle of the race I was thinking "never again", but now I find myself thinking "where's the next one?".

What's all that about?

Great photos.

It could have been a lot lot wetter.

Yes it was windy but rain and wind would have been far far worse.

For a december fell race I think sunshine, blue skies and strong winds must be considered good weather.

I found it hard, but never really had the never again which is an annual occurance as I reach Snowdon on the Peris. But in longer races 'never again' moments are normal. This was hard as it was quite runnable and fast.

I don't fancy a slow, non-runnable course then!
    At some points I thought I was going backwards.

Lovely looking hills though.

I prefer them, I like the steep walking sections as that's when I tend to catch people, on the runnable sections may lack of running ability comes a factor.

I got caught / lost time going downhill, combination of wet grass / not proper shoes , knackered legs and of course not being good enough on the descents.

I think I'll stick to what I'm good at for the most part (3 - 5km) but a fell race makes for a good hard sunday run.

Having said that, I've been reading about the 4 hour races in the lakes, they sound good.

I wore solamans, a fell shoe, but nothing like a new pair of walshes, with a good grip, those descents were steep and slippy so without new fell shoes I reckon most would have lost time on the descents. Roland Stafford past me on the first descent and put a huge amount of time on me by the time I'd hit the bottom.

I wore a pair of Nikes. I lost touch with pos. 7, 6 & 5 off the back of the caradoc and could never quite get back in touch. I saw some chunky grips on others.

I needed the wind on my back on the return to cardington to help me get my legs turning again, otherwise I think the bunch on my back would have passed me.

How does that race rank in terms of difficulty / length / quality / aesthetics?

I've got no idea what other fell races would be like.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    I wore solamans, a fell shoe, but nothing like a new pair of walshes, with a good grip, those descents were steep and slippy so without new fell shoes I reckon most would have lost time on the descents. Roland Stafford past me on the first descent and put a huge amount of time on me by the time I'd hit the bottom.
    Aye, but your Salomons are somehwhat better than the Flyroc's he was wearing!!

bloody hell he was too. I remember thinking that when I see him later. Him and Roger Yapp? put a huge gap on me on that first descent, flew past me.