Thread: 100th sub-3 marathon

100th sub-3 marathon

A friend of mine yesterday ran his 100th sub-3 marathon.
    Amazing !

Re: 100th sub-3 marathon

Quote Originally Posted by Gambatte View Post
    A friend of mine yesterday ran his 100th sub-3 marathon.
    Amazing !
    That's pretty good....even if he fit in 4 a year he'd have to be running at that level for 25 years!

How many marathons has Ron Hill done?

I believe he was hoping to run a marathon race in 100 different countries.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Quote Originally Posted by A.G View Post
    That's pretty good....even if he fit in 4 a year he'd have to be running at that level for 25 years!
    This guy is in his mid 40s. I don't have the exact data, but I think he has done even four sub-3 in a single month

This guy is in his mid 40s. I don't have the exact data, but I think he has done even four sub-3 in a single month
    It would not suprise me. In 2000 I did 5 marathons in a year and was bumping into some people who do 15-20 of them year in year out!! I even met the British record holder (forgot his name) for the most marathons completed. He looked knackered!!!! He said someone else was only 20 marathons behind him in number so he still had to keep up the relentless number a year, even though he was heading on for 50 years old. They all were a lovely though slightly nutty bunch.
    www.vlaevents.co.uk Fancy something different?

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    It would not suprise me. In 2000 I did 5 marathons in a year and was bumping into some people who do 15-20 of them year in year out!! I even met the British record holder (forgot his name) for the most marathons completed. He looked knackered!!!! He said someone else was only 20 marathons behind him in number so he still had to keep up the relentless number a year, even though he was heading on for 50 years old. They all were a lovely though slightly nutty bunch.
    I know that some individuals ran several hundreds of marathons. But I think they tend to have typical times much slower than 3:00, don't they ?

I personally find more amazing 100 sub-3, rathern than some 100s with any time.

Well, in 2008 I'd be delighted with TWO 2:59s.

Exactly, if they were just going to be jogged it would just equate to a weekly long run.

I know that some individuals ran several hundreds of marathons. But I think they tend to have typical times much slower than 3:00, don't they ?

I personally find more amazing 100 sub-3, rathern than some 100s with any time.

Well, in 2008 I'd be delighted with TWO 2:59s.

I havent done many marathons but they were all under 3hrs until I ran at Langdale in 3:09. But as i won it I'm still quite pleased with my record.

Agree that 100 sub 3 is some achievement though, it takes either a huge natural talent or constant decent mileage for years on end to manage that

Nutty stuff indeed. Having done my first and, to my surprise, liked it more than expected I'll be doing a couple more next year. I guess after a while the marathons become almost like "extended training runs" so you can get good at banging them out. I wish!