Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Target - advice needed

2008 Target - advice needed

You there, you forumites, you need to pick a goal for me for 2008. I'm indecisive and need some help.

Of course we all know that fellrunning and fellracing are fantastic pursuits in their own right, but there's something about having a really challenging target that makes it all the more satisfying.

Having a goal gets you out on a crap night, and getting out on a crap night makes you feel very satisfied about half an hour after you get back in. Those endorphins - you gotta love em.

As well as getting out more, a goal that's a real stretch is also more likely to make you work harder when you do go out. You're straining harder at the end of each of those intervals, and you do more of them.

After 5 months of goalless running since 2007's target was obsessed about, prepared for and (thankfully) met, I'm looking for another one.

Don't get me wrong - these months since the BGR have been great! No pressure, no worries, just run how you feel. OK, people i used to beat have been ahead of me but so what!?

I'm getting bored of that now and want a goal. I don't want to do another big round yet, but instead, I want to choose a race, pick a target and really go for it. I;ve always wondered how well i could do if i focussed on one race for a long period and did my absolute best. People usually train for a season, or a round, but a single fell race? I know i never have.

So, what's a mid-packer like me to do? I aint quick but can really get the most out of what I've got through preparation. I know there's the odd person who never thought i;d make the BGR cos i'm not too fast. I want a goal that has every chance of not being met - a real stretch. Some ideas for a mid-packers dream include...

- Sub four hour Jura (done it once in bad weather and didn't break 5 hours!)
    - Sub 3.30 Borrowdale - current pb 4:17
    - Sub 2:15 Sedbergh - current pb 2.53

Any other ideas? (Three peaks is out of reach - alas!)

I'm really struggling to come up with something so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

ST

Re: 2008 Target - advice neede

Mark,

Why not have a go at the Welsh 3000s challenge, but set yourself a pretty stretched target.

http://www.welsh3000s.co.uk/

Ive been looking into this as a long training run when I'm a bit fitter, I dont know an awful lot about it.

From what I understand Walkers have 24 hours to get round. Half decent fell runners should be aiming for 8-10 hours. Why not have a go at trying to get I dunno 6-7hours.

Plus its a completely different country to run around and train in

Jamie

Chris

What about the Lakeland Classics series?

2008 target - how about doing a marathon abroad e.g. Great Wall of China or Everest
    My goal for 2008 is to do the Lakeland Classics

Lakeland Classics is great way to follow a BGR - I can thoroughly recommend it.

Lakeland classics?
    Ooh what's that?
    Sounds good. Have heard of it but never looked into it.

Jamie, I did the Welsh 3's as part of the BGR training, my last long run before it in fact. Took it steady and did it in about 7.30 i think. Really enjoyed it, but am looking for races to go for this year. How's the BGR trainig coming along by the way mate?

Chris

I don't know the dates or the order the races come in but the thing is the Superlongs, of which you need to do at least two are over a very short season, so if you're fit for the first one you'll be even fitter for the second (or third) one and then if you fancy doing the longs they will be a piece of piss.

How about the Paddy B or the Ramsey.
    I've always fancied the Scottish 4000m, taking the bike between them.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Toni View Post

Jamie, I did the Welsh 3's as part of the BGR training, my last long run before it in fact. Took it steady and did it in about 7.30 i think. . How's the BGR trainig coming along by the way mate?
    Told you I did'nt know an awful lot about it.

Its not going to bad tbh, had a few 6 hour days with lots of climb over the last few months. Its very very early days at the mo.

Im going see how the body holds up on the Round Rotherham this weekend, my longest outing. Then Im gonna chill till after christmas and get back to it in early in the new year.

Cheers
    Jamie
    Last edited by NotOnUrHelly; 04-12-2007 at 11:38 PM.

Lakeland Classics 2007

GrahamB will be along any minute to extole the virtues of them.