Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Target - advice needed

Re: 2008 Target - advice neede

Don't just do Lakeland Classics Trophy (2 Superlongs + 1 other) - do the Series which is all 6. Gives you something to aim for from early June to early October.

That looks like it could be a go-er - a great way to organise your running goals over a season.

I'll look at the results for each race and set a really stretching target for each and try and finish as high as i can in the standings.

Great suggestion - thanks very much

ST

You could extend your season a little further (albeit with a partner) by including the 20th Old County Tops in May and if you want a really challenging day out you could add The Mountain Trial.

Mountain Trial will probably be the week before 3 Shires which makes for an even tougher combination that Duddon & Ennerdale which will also be a week apart.

See most recent Fellrunner for a review of the first 5 years of Lakeland Classics.

Why not the Paddy Buckley?

Localish to you, a natural progression from the BGR.

I'm the same, I feel a bit goaless once I've done what I aimed to do. Next year I'm aiming to complete championships, although I did more racing this year than ever before, I never completed a full set of championship races, so the North Wales and British will be my main aim, and possibly the Wales.

Then also a few ultras, probably High Peak Marathon (if I get in), Highland Fling and the Tour Du Mont Blanc Ultra.

If not how about the Scottish longs, last I heard there was some talk of a Scottish Long series, like the lakelands, that would be a good one to complete.

Thanks for the suggestions...

I must admit the PBR was a tempting option for next year, but that means yet another spring and summer of sacrifcing most of the races I enjoy and, more importantly, being either away from home or knackered at home - the wife needs to be placated some more i think! 2009 perhaps?

I did the mountain trial this year for the first time and loved it - will probably do again. I've never done the OCT so that could be a good option.

The thing about all of this is that there are loads of really good things to do, but they often get in the way of each other, so that by doing one you're knackered for the other (Duddon and Ennerdale being a good example).

I'll sit down with the diary and work out how all these races sit, but what i really want is one specfic race to aim for at a time and with a very stretching target attached to each.

When are the Lakes Classics fixtures - does anyone know?

ST
    Last edited by Mark Smith; 06-12-2007 at 12:24 PM.

Apart from looking at this year's dates the only option is to wait on next year's calendar

If you're looking for one specific race to aim for what about the Welsh 1000m summits race?

http://www.gorphwysfaclub.org.uk/

It's held in early June so it give you something to aim for and get you out doors during the winter and still leaves the rest of the summer to put that ultra fitness to use.

Fellhound

Sounds like you've got a wealth of suggestions ST but just to throw another one in... How about the Manx Mountain Marathon. It's a great event and a great weekend. May be a little early for you, being at Easter. Then again - it would be a great prep run for the Lakes Classics!

Or how about take part in the first year of the Scottish Long Classics Trophy, best 5 of 10 classics, full calander not out yet but ChrisU is organising the SLoCT so he might give you the full set of names.

Of course you might aim for just one classic Scottish race and opt for the Arrochar Alps Hill Race.

Me, I am aiming for the Lakeland Classics and The Ben this year.
    Is it meant to be this hard?

Other than the Duddon, which i can't make cos i'm supporting a BG that weekend, i'm going to give the Lakeland classics a go. I've never done Wasdale or Ennerdale and have only done 3 shires and Langdale once, so that should be a good thread througout the season.

I like the idea of the Welsh 1000's too as it's ground i know well and is not too far from home - and yet it's a race i;ve not done. I trained quite a bit on the Carneddau for the BGR and so feel that this could be a good one.

As for the Manx - well i did say to myself that i wanted to do some different things this year, and Easter is currently allocated to decorating the downstairs bathroom, which is patently stupid... Great suggestions chaps, i'll consult the calendar when i get home, oh and the wife.

ST

PS - when's the arrochar race?