Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building up the miles

novice

Building up the miles

I’m keen to build up the distance I am running to get up to 13miles comfortably and compete in the Windgather Race next Oct. At the moment I’m comfortable on about 6 max.

Is the best way simply to get out there and run or are there more specific training routines I should be following?

Feet in the Cowclaps

Re: Building up the miles

Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    Is the best way simply to get out there and run ?
    I think so.

The rule of thumb is don't increase your weekly mileage total by more than 10%.
    Gradually build up your longest run of the week, by say a mile a fortnight. Then when you're comfortable at running 13-15 miles, you can start including things like speed sessions/hill reps, which will also help you with stamina.

Good luck with it.

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by Feet in the Cowclaps View Post
    I think so.

Gradually build up your longest run of the week, by say a mile a fortnight. Then when you're comfortable at running 13-15 miles, you can start including things like speed sessions/hill reps, which will also help you with stamina.

Good luck with it.
    novice its all true
    FITC is a proffesional he knows what he is talking about
    good luck
    that brett however dont do his training plans, too much wine

Feet in the Cowclaps

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    FITC is a proffesional he knows what he is talking about

A professional midpack runner.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Feet in the Cowclaps View Post
    I think so.

Good luck with it.
    Personally I wouldn't be able to follow a regime like that, it would drive me mad. It would mean it's taking 12 weeks to increase from 6 mile runs to 12, and a lot longer when you factor in the almost inevitable injuries, illnesses and other setbacks. I know Arthur Lydiard had 36 week schedules building up for a race but I'd lose focus after about five weeks.

If you want to get used to running 13-15 miles (up from 6 or so) I'd suggest getting out and doing it sooner and slower even if you walk it like every other fell runner does. Once you can do the distance you'll feel like you can do anything.

Feet in the Cowclaps

The thing is though Chris that you chose your parents much better than most of us and you have a lot more natural talent than lots of us could wish for.

Some of us who are less gifted try to make up for our genetic disability by structuring our training as much as we can.

david

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    even if you walk it like every other fell runner does.
    Walk ?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Walk ?
    Yes, like everyone does.

Feet in the Cowclaps, I'm not saying the same systems work for everyone but on the other hand I think in this respect being fast or slow isn't the determining factor. I suspect I have more fast twitch fibres than you do, however endurance is about more than that.

I'm with you chris.

I reckon just go out and see what you can do.

If a regular runner but never ran over 6 miles, you'll probably be able to run quite a bit more, so just get out and try a long run, even if it means you walk bits. Knowing what it feels like after a while out is important.

Once you know what your limit is then you can structure your training on that.

The 10% rule is very general. Once you know your current limit then a gradual build up is wise, but only to a point.
    Last edited by IainR; 05-12-2007 at 11:22 PM.

Chris

IainR and me, we are in agreement.

I'm going to have a lie down until it passes.