Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Everest Marathon

Re: Everest Marathon

Quote Originally Posted by XRunner View Post
    BBC report on The Everest Marathon

An interesting illustration of the practice of journalism. You have to read 28 paragraphs before you get to Angela Mudge and even further to find out who won the race!

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamB View Post
    An interesting illustration of the practice of journalism. You have to read 28 paragraphs before you get to Angela Mudge and even further to find out who won the race!
    Not so much an illustration of the practice of journalism in my opinion as an illustration of the practices of the BBC.

I think the intention is to show that it's an event which is as much about experiencing a different culture, and an adventure for everyone in the event, as much as it is a race.
    Which seems like a refreshing view to me.

Quote Originally Posted by BillJ View Post
    I think the intention is to show that it's an event which is as much about experiencing a different culture, and an adventure for everyone in the event, as much as it is a race.
    Which seems like a refreshing view to me.
    Bill,

My comment wasn't a criticism but an observation about journalism, particularly when written by a non-sports journalist.

I understand the importance of the first paragraph. If potential readers don't like the first, they probably won't read the second.

However I suggest that the "news" element was the success of Angela and Craig. The "atmosphere" bit about yak dung and carving out the race route from ice 10 minutes before the runners arrive could have come later in the piece.

Anyway, if I wrote about the Everest Marathon and Angela I reckon her name would appear at about the fourth word and the fact that it starts at -20 degrees C etc could probably be held back to the second paragraph!

Regards,

Graham
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 10-12-2007 at 09:09 AM.

Here is a biography of the BBC Sports journalist, Bryn Palmer
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Quote Originally Posted by XRunner View Post
    Here is a biography of the BBC Sports journalist, Bryn Palmer
    "...rugby ...curling...I still play five-a-side football, a bit of tennis and golf, and love skiing, snowboarding and water-skiing."

Forgive me but have I missed the reference to any endurance sport? Er...curling?

BBC Executive:"Hm Bryn! I see you "play...tennis and golf". Go cover the Everest Marathon for the BBC".
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 10-12-2007 at 01:14 AM.

Perhaps.... Hon' Jurno'.... water-skied the Atlantic.... curled across the Alp.... played lots of games across Alaska....? You never know.... or do you...

Anyway, well done... Jim T, Sally W, Ed & (Mrs W?) & other mates.....
    I'm very impressed...
    and as for Angela...
    no words are enough...
    SUPERB will have to do!
    Miss Muddy Paws Dad....
    Not clever & often stupid..

Graham B - Can't see your point about needing 'endurance' qualifications to write a report on Everest Marathon. On your premise anyone reporting on a murder should have some experience of committing one!

Quote Originally Posted by Epocian View Post
    Graham B - Can't see your point about needing 'endurance' qualifications to write a report on Everest Marathon. On your premise anyone reporting on a murder should have some experience of committing one!
    Indeed!

But wouldn't a journalist who had committed a murder write with a particular insight?

I was only being a little droll-the BBC is the best we've got-but to get back to my point: I humbly suggest that a sports journalist with an active interest in, or experience of endurance sports, just might have got to Angela's achievement somewhat quicker in his piece than provide his readers with so much local colour.

Fascinated though we all are with yak dung.

Fascinated though we all are with yak dung.
    Come on, I particularly liked the bit about yak dung.

Seriously, I think that the beeb, like most of our national ags, are writing for the mass readership who see sport as the shrink-wrapped star-studded glitzy stuff they see on television.

If you're going to get anything in the national media about fell / mountain running, this is probably the best you can expect.

Personally, I did find it interesting and better than some stuff that I've seen.

I'm not sure that he could have made curling interesting though!
    Last edited by Rudolph Hooker; 10-12-2007 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Getting too old for this game!