Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Overrated races.

Re: Overrated races.

Ben Nevis, Yorkshire's 3 Peaks overrated as fell races, but good competition and atmosphere sometimes.

Alf, are trying to be deliberately provocative? I've no experience of 3 peaks but why on earth would you consider the Ben as overrated? In what particular way is it not one of the greatest fell races this isle has to offer??
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

May seem a bit provocative but qualified it with good atmosphere and competition etc. Okay what I mean to say is that there are many better races that are underrated. But I accept that the Ben is essential after all its Britain's biggest. The 3 peaks is probably as good as it gets in Yorkshire. But for all round worthiness its BORROWDALE.

Nothing against the 3 Peaks per se, but when you consider the fact that hundreds of people were falling over each other to pay 20 quid to enter, that qualifies it as over-rated in my book!

and over subscribed. Maybe we just like queueing.

Quote Originally Posted by alf.t View Post
    Ben Nevis, Yorkshire's 3 Peaks overrated as fell races, but good competition and atmosphere sometimes.
    Three peaks, Ben Nevis and Snowdon. It must be the publicity that attacts so many. The Peris horseshoe is a grat classic, much more of a fell race than Snowdon and yet runners flock to Snowdon in their hundreds but not many do the Peris.
    ydt

Fellhound

Three Peaks and Snowdon yes, but not the Ben!! Although the road detracts a bit (would be better starting at Achintee) it's still a classic. I would even get on the provocative bandwagon and say that THE classic format for a fell race is straight to the top and back down again!!

On the up and down basis then makes Scafell a classic underrated race, when its Scottish and Welsh counterparts are overrated and over-subscribed.
    Why does Scafell attract small fields?

Basically, because it is not M-way or fast A roads all the way to Wasdale Head. It takes a bit of determination and savvy for the 'sportscar' brigade to get there.

Fellhound

Quote Originally Posted by alf.t View Post
    On the up and down basis then makes Scafell a classic underrated race, when its Scottish and Welsh counterparts are overrated and over-subscribed.
    Why does Scafell attract small fields?
    Interesting question, because it is a classic course and it's up the highest peak in England too. Given that there are probably more English fellrunners than Scottish or Welsh you'd think Scafell Pike would be THE most over-subscribed.

Perhaps Wheezing Donkey makes a good point - the trip there might just be too challenging for the motorway generation....

(small field makes it all the more classic in my book though!)