Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: National 3 Peaks

Re: National 3 Peaks

scafell pike race is a lovely race - its not that hard - and I really got a sense of achievement for accomplishing it -

one of the things i dont like about the national three peaks is that you drive between the three hills and thats a lot of miles you gotta do and when its buses and support vehicles - the amount of fuel and carbon output must be phenominal for something that it supposed to be about endurance, achievement and getting back to nature.

I like the idea of the one where you have to sail and bike your way between them - but then again call me a hippy and send me back to my garden

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by Daleside View Post
    scafell pike race is a lovely race - its not that hard - and I really got a sense of achievement for accomplishing it -

one of the things i dont like about the national three peaks is that you drive between the three hills and thats a lot of miles you gotta do and when its buses and support vehicles - the amount of fuel and carbon output must be phenominal for something that it supposed to be about endurance, achievement and getting back to nature.

I like the idea of the one where you have to sail and bike your way between them - but then again call me a hippy and send me back to my garden
    oh yes daleside you did that one, how many ran it about 50 odd

http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/results/race06/scafell.pdf

results here - 56 I think it said - can i just remind you that I fell over on the way down and had a five minute sit down (well roll about on the path grabbing knee more like)

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Hare View Post
    There was a link to a very scathing article about this on the old forum - seems like almost everyone is anti - especially the local mountain rescue teams who invariably end up dragging half-cut, unfit corporate types off the hills.

Why can't these folk f**k off somewhere else to get their kicks and leave the hills for those who can really appreciate them.
    Some links included BBC; Fell Walker

A Summary Code of Practice is published here.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Feet in the Cowclaps

A link to bits of the thread from the old forum here

Quote Originally Posted by robgrillo View Post
    No worries Daz, theres going to be of 4 or 5 of us plus a couple of drivers - hopefully we won't make too much of a nuisance of ourselves !
    That is exactly what the other sixty odd groups say who intend using the same 24 hours for their 'unique' charity fund raising event.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Feet in the Cowclaps

Master and MR

yes looking at that link it amazes me
    couple of times ive been up scafell pike from seathwaite ive set off early and been amazed at how many are still heading up very late in the day with just a t shirt and a few bits and bobs with kids in tow and just a mobile phone

Quote Originally Posted by XRunner View Post
    That is exactly what the other sixty odd groups say who intend using the same 24 hours for their 'unique' charity fund raising event.
    Theres nothing unique about what we are doing !
    Do I sense a little hypocrisy from some of the fell running fraternity here....how much damage to our earth is done when hundreds of fell runners turn up at the same race ? We will have one minibus, will leave no litter & will make far less of a mark on the terrain than the average fell runner will !!
    The sailing method is a brilliant one, but how many of us intend to sail to our next fell race.
    While we all respect and appreciate the countryside, we do as much damage as the next person...if fact possibly more because we spend more time in the hills than most & create more pollution than there average person getting there!
    I would appreciate the argument if I was a city kid who didn't have the foggiest notion of what I was getting myself in for ! The 7 of us will create less harm to our land than the hundreds in th Ben Race later in the year.
    Last edited by Anorak; 23-01-2007 at 06:00 PM. Reason: not much
    www.robgrillo.co.uk
    IS THAT THE 12" MIX

Quote Originally Posted by XRunner View Post
    Dear me.

Yes it may cause pollution to an extent, but we aren't talking thousands of people here, maybe 2-300 on a 'bad' day. There are ways and means of coping with that number of people.
    Yes, they may be ill-equipped or naive on the mountains, but thats a seperate issue. They are getting out, getting exercise, and raising money for (in some cases environmental) charities. The mountains don't belong to any one group, the beauty of the countryside is surely its openess, and accessability??
    Of course they should stay at home...
    'That's what you get when you suffer - you get results'