Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: National 3 Peaks

Re: National 3 Peaks

Quote Originally Posted by fellhell View Post
    Dear me.

Yes it may cause pollution to an extent, but we aren't talking thousands of people here, maybe 2-300 on a 'bad' day. There are ways and means of coping with that number of people.
    Yes, they may be ill-equipped or naive on the mountains, but thats a seperate issue. They are getting out, getting exercise, and raising money for (in some cases environmental) charities. The mountains don't belong to any one group, the beauty of the countryside is surely its openess, and accessability??
    Of course they should stay at home...
    Thankyou fellhell !!
    www.robgrillo.co.uk
    IS THAT THE 12" MIX

fellhell, how many of these charity do gooders remembered to send a portion of their fund raising efforts to the mountain rescue teams who end up sorting the problems out when it does go wrong? Mountain rescue teams are charities as well!

Here's a gem I found earlier...

Some 400 Fire Service competitors recently descended on the picturesque Wasdale valley over two nights to tackle the Scafell Pike leg of the challenge, which sees walkers climb Britain’s three highest peaks in succession.

Villagers claim the Fire Service competitors broke every rule in the charity code of conduct by:

Noisily waking up residents and tourists by arriving in the middle of the night;
    Leaving piles of rubbish blowing around the valley;
    Parking more than 60 minibuses on the green and wearing out fragile pathways; and

Driving dangerously on narrow country roads.
    Is it any wonder it's getting such a bad rap?
    Last edited by dominion; 23-01-2007 at 07:22 PM.

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    fellhell, how many of these charity do gooders remembered to send a portion of their fund raising efforts to the montain rescue teams who end up sorting the problems out when it does go wrong? Mountain rescue teams are charities as well!

Here's a gem I found earlier...

Is it any wonder it's getting such a bad rap?
    yes that was a classic want it
    f,.,,..in ridiculous

So does this mean that if I race up the peaks thats ok, but if I walk up with a group of responsible walkers it isn't !!
    www.robgrillo.co.uk
    IS THAT THE 12" MIX

The biggest complaint seems to be the 'within 24 hours' bit. It promotes bad driving and forces people to make the ascents, particularly of Scafell at inconsiderate times.

Quote Originally Posted by robgrillo View Post
    The 7 of us will create less harm to our land than the hundreds in th Ben Race later in the year.
    That is exactly what everybody else says to justify their own attempt on the three highest mountains in England, Scotland and Wales.

See also this Guy Newbold article.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Quote Originally Posted by XRunner View Post
    That is exactly what everybody else says to justify their own attempt on the three highest mountains in England, Scotland and Wales.

Do I really have to justify it ?????? I think not.
    I can only assume that you have never climbed any of these, or any other hill in the UK, for fear of causing erosion & nuisance to the locals.
    www.robgrillo.co.uk
    IS THAT THE 12" MIX

Quote Originally Posted by XRunner View Post

The Guy Newbold article is interesting but it does remind me of the prat who bought an isolated farm up here in Haworth, who then complained bitterly about the American, Japanese & British tourists who used the footpath through his land on their way to Top Withins. What did he expect?
    www.robgrillo.co.uk
    IS THAT THE 12" MIX

Quote Originally Posted by robgrillo View Post
    Do I really have to justify it ?????? I think not.
    I can only assume that you have never climbed any of these, or any other hill in the UK, for fear of causing erosion & nuisance to the locals.
    I am suggesting that you question your motives if you are doing this as a fund_raising event.

I acknowledge that my recreation has an impact on the environment and may be seen to be a nuisance by locals. I do try to minimise these factors however. I prefer finding new paths away from the heavily eroded or man_made and over_used tourist paths. I also prefer the quietness and solitude of mornings and evenings when there are few people about.

I have to agree with you that large fell races can be a considerable problem in some of the sensitive areas where we enjoy our sport. Limits have been imposed on some events and traditional races have been cancelled or postponed when the numbers involved have upset the locals.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

This whole debate is interesting but why should we as mountain lovers suggest that others don't use the mountains, even for fund raising. I agree that there are better and more environmentally friendly ways of raising money but it does beg the question of our own activities. I know that when running through a peat bog i am causing a problem that would not be there if I was running on a road. However I don't want to run on the road. That's personal preference. I think that robgrillo should do what he wants without having to justify his reasons. The mountains are for all.However I hope that most stay off them. Selfish? Yes. Hypocrite? Possibly.