Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paramo clothing

Paramo clothing

Anyone had any experience with this brand? Just wondered how it stacks up against some of the big name brands (Haglofs, RAB, etc). Just got a windproof smock so will soon find out how it performs - it has the looks, cut & style.............

Re: Paramo clothing

Quote Originally Posted by Ady In Accy View Post
    Anyone had any experience with this brand? Just wondered how it stacks up against some of the big name brands (Haglofs, RAB, etc). Just got a windproof smock so will soon find out how it performs - it has the looks, cut & style.............
    Hi Addy, I used to sell Paramo about 13-15 years ago and used to get the kit to try out. I used to love the stuff, in them days (how old do I sound ) they only did shell garment. I used it on climbing trips to the Alps and in Africa. Never had a problem with it. The pants especially were very popular as you could get different leg lengths. You didn't need to wear anything underneath (eg Long johns) and you could wear them all day. A number of my MR team wear the pants and one or two have the tops. I can't comment on the newer stuff as I've not tried it.

Never had a problem with durability as long as you looked after them like most waterproofs, paticularly keeping them clean. Unlike many waterproofs Paramo is not a laminate so it is harder to damage.

Once you've gone over to Paramo you won't want to go back. Keeps the bad weather out longer and very durable - although some might say its a bit heavy.

That said I wore a Paramo Velez smock for the entire Jura Race (wet weather course) a couple of years back and found it OK.

For fitting in a bumbag, they do a windproof smock which can be waterproofed using TX direct, although I had a job convincing the pre-race checkers at Jura last year!

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    they do a windproof smock which can be waterproofed using TX direct, although I had a job convincing the pre-race checkers at Jura last year!
    How effective is this? One review I read said that it only gives it shower proofing properties at best. I would prob use a diff jacket for wet weather but it seems good for its purpose. Looks good on to so can be worn as a casual jacket when not out on the hills.

I just picked one up from GoOutdoors for £27

have used salopettes for a number of years now for winter munros, and skiing, but also for walking dogs in wet. Very effective but can get warm - no need for leggings underneath. Only prob is the stitching in the crotch (come away) and the small of my back gets exposed when walking up hill.

Also have a paramo fleece that I regularly run in in winter (completed recent long race in it). It's windproof and fairly waterproof - even when damp you stay warm. It's well made, hardwearing and has a very useful map pocket. Buffalos are good also, but not waterproof.

I have a Paramo smock, the one they say is for adventure racing (cant remember the name, doh!) It has worked really, really well. Glad I splashed out on it. I think for the fitter, faster lads and lasses it may be too heavy, but for us plodders its great. Walking or running or biking ( or just going to the shops in the rain!)

i have a fuera (?) windproof smock, treated with nikwax tx to give it some water repellent properties

must say that i am impressed so far, though it is early days, due to the cut and features of a relatively simple smock. and being a microfiber cloth rather than a laminate or other shell it is really comfortable so dont mind wearing it for nearly everything

of course if its wee-ing it down, a proper water proof may be required
    Hard Work, Hard Training and Suffering...Race Easy

Paramo Velez Smock is the dogs bits and bobs!

I work as an outdoor ed tutor and am outdoors every day, this bit of kit goes with me everyday.

IT KEEPS THE RAIN OUT, OUT , OUT!

warm enough to wear over a base layer in all weathers but easy enough to 'vent' in warmer months.

Ditto most of the above. I have paramo gear that has lasted for years. I have trousers, fuera smock, velex smock for winter. Never lets you down and is as tough as they come.