Page 52 of 84 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: LDWA events

Re: LDWA events

Now, now you two - I'll put you on the list - that should calm you down!

Troller's Trot 2010
    Mountain Goatess
    clairster
    DazTheSlug
    Trimm Trab
    SteveS
    chris brown
    Muddy Retriever
    Drunkeneuphoria
    markdalton99
    Pilgrim (looks like)
    Behind You
    Dru
    Sherpa
    Oven Gloves
    Deejay
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

any one else doing the Wheeldale Tandem this Sat 20th at Goathland?

I'll be there ,look for the Marmite top ! I'm on the West route for a change .

Don't want to be picky but hasn't been called the Wheeldale for a year or two
    Last edited by duracell; 19-02-2010 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Sp

Have a good Tandem all those who are doing it. I hope the weather hasn't put the spanner in the works again.

OK Marmite, what happened,did you pick the short straw to get the 'Easy' route ;-)

Although from Scarboro & Burniston, I now live in Lincoln, and am a novice at this event, so I wonder what my chances of not going off route are? I know the area fairly well from cycling. And yes, can get a std road bike up Littlebeck 1:3.

I'm on the east loop of the Tandem tomorrow, did a recce last Saturday The frost made it fairly dry and firm, except in the forest rides, bloody cold wind though and some hail. Also put my name down for Troller's Trot

Tandem West route for me too, should be fun
    Hope to get arround before the snow commences

ok, so buga, the Tandem was cancelled

overnite we must have caught an Eat Coast shower. there was significant snow on the ground. altho it was bright celar and sunny all morning.

one of the organisers cars ended up in a ditch, so one of the other marshalls was trying to extract them. generally, marshalls were going to struggle to an all the CPs. the final spanner was that Raynet presumably couldnt get there, so no safety communications cover.

there was quite a consensus amongst plenty of folk to just go buga off and do the West route anyway. so we did.

such a shame the race was cancelled as it was a glorious day for it. stunning tbh. bright, hardly any wind at all, and thus quite warm once youd got going, even tho the air temp wasnt much. we were amongst the later starters but made steady progress through the 'field'.

me and my fellow Lincs team-mate passed Duracell's group in the woods before Stape. it had been quite a chase for us, bit then we seemed to breeze straight by and were well ahead. then a couple of miles later Duracell appeared out of nowhere and was flying - How come you didnt come with us initially m8?

My team mate was out of water so we split up at the Stape road as we went to the Village Hall in case it was open (at 3h14). nope. despite my team mate thus struggling a bit now we trudged on over a very soggy Wheeldale Moor (basically like running through a narrow muddy stream) but picked up at Two Howes and flew to the finish for a 4h36 total time. We were pleased with that as novices. The West route navigation was mainly pretty straightforward tbh, and with a very easy surface until after Egton Bridge. Thoroughly enjoyed it despite it just being an unofficial fun run out.

Duracell - you must've started a bit before us, what was your time?

Shame about the tandem, though in the little 2whl drive car we arrived in it felt a bit dicey on the road into Goathland - We'd seen frost about 20m out and snow didnn't appear on ground until near the Hole of Horcom, we were quite unlucky with timing of this all, but I can appreciate the decision and didn't let it spoil my fun.

I stuck with my club colleagues and we decided to get back onto the main whitby rd and run from there - didn't fancy getting snowed in at Aidensfield... I mean Goathland. TBH it was getting dicier heading out on road again at 8:30, had the second hill been a few feet longer I reckon we'd have been in difficulty - or a ditch. We just did an 18.5m loop of East route, home leg and back from Hole of Horcum. Glad we did a run around here still as the snow was fresh and easy running and the sun made it a beautiful day. I was slightly disappointed as the roads were clear when we got back to Goathland on our loop so we could have done full route as many others did.

Toyota - Apologies, we were the first people to get to Stape because of shortened route and popped into the hall. The blokes there hadn't even been informed of the cancellation They probably packed up soon after, don't think you missed anything though as no food/drinks there. We actually passed two of the organisers running route in reverse towards stape soo after. Obviously some comms difficulties

Onwards and upwards..... and downwards, and upwards....
    and repeat for 24m...... I'm thinking of the Myrtle Meander next week as heading lancashire way to Manc for a 30th bday do that day anyway. So this would be convenient in the extreme.

Anybody else doing this or have experiance of? Only slight worry for me is the CP opening on 5mph. Now I don't know the route so 12min/miling and navigating an unknown route might be really hard on this route anyway. Hoping others may be doing as don't want to be the only one arriving at CP pretty much bang on opening times and getting groaned at (which I'm sure they wouldn't)
    Last edited by Drunkeneuphoria; 21-02-2010 at 06:44 PM. Reason: addition