Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Food, fads and fancies

Master

Food, fads and fancies

After reading the 'what not to eat thread' I've decided to start a new thread on diet. The title of this thread was taken from a chapter in a very rare Arthur Lydiard book called 'Run the Lydiard way(1978).

In it he describes a story of how an American athlete used to carry a bag of coloured pills around with him. One day he lost one of his pills and when asked by his coach why he was looking so worried, he said "I've lost my little pink pill." He then proceeded to scrabble around on the floor looking for it. As Lydiard wrote at the time ''he had real faith in his pills."

That was a long time ago but today athletes dietary habits are even worse. Years of nonsense advice from books and magazines have left people confused on the subject. Athletics is not as bad as bodybuilding, but it isn't far behind.

Getting the right mixture of foods is all that matters. In other words get the ratio right. In aerobic running the ratio is about 48% carbohydrates, 48% fat and 4% protein. When some of the energy is produced anaerobically the ratio shifts towards carbohydrates. Say 60%.

As long as an athlete keeps to approximately these levels, he/she will be fine. All this talk about taking protein after an event(as if this is all that matters), not eating fat etc is all nonsense. Along with swallowing handfuls of pills for various ailments they might get. The only thing athletes need to take pills for is unbalanced diets, or deficiencies.

For instance some athletes don't get enough iron in their system because they don't like meat. For them it might be important to take a proper iron pill. Or for those who don't like fruit and veg taking a small dose multi-vit and mineral. Doing this though will not make up for the other things present in those foods that make up a balanced diet. Taking excesses of supplements will just stress the kidneys, and lead to a worse physical condition.

As for eating before a race: If doing your best is important then your last meal should be about 6hours previous, particularly if the race is short and fast. Digesting food whilst trying to run flat out, will make you a lot slower than you should be,as well as making you sick.

Of course for those who want to shuffle round the Bob Graham, this isn't really a consideration.
    Last edited by CL; 25-01-2009 at 09:26 PM.

Super Moderator

Re: Food, fads and fancies

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post

Getting the right mixture of foods is all that matters. In other words get the ratio right. In aerobic running the ratio is about 48% carbohydrates, 48% fat and 4% protein
    Sounds about right for that old Hebden favourite, a dripping sandwich

what are you looking for in our replies Chris? I took it to mean 'what do we eat to sustain ourselves in our chosen active lifestyle' or something along those lines.

Personally I eat whatever the Mrs cooks for me as i am far too lazy to shop or cook for myself.

If i had to look after myself my diet wouldnt stray far from baked potatoes, coleslaw, pasta and cheese.
    Event Photography
    www.athletesinaction.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Sounds about right for that old Hebden favourite, a dripping sandwich
    They say its bad for you, but my Dad survived on dripping sandwiches during World War 2
    Hills and Guinness!

Banned

I think it is dangerous to be too concerned about your diet.

When I was younger I had a craving for carbohydrates when I was running a lot, especially bread. I am forty five now, I still run a lot but I don't eat so much; I don't think you do as you get older. The idea that you should calculate how much carbohydrate, protein and fat you have seems daft to me. I think alcohol plays a bigger part in athletes diets than is ever recognised by sports scientists; obviously not all athletes but a pretty good proportion. I eat very little carbohydrate even when training heavily because I don't usually fancy it.

Quote Originally Posted by chris smale View Post
    I think alcohol plays a bigger part in athletes diets than is ever recognised by sports scientists; obviously not all athletes but a pretty good proportion.
    Interesting Chris, are you a big drinker? I know Rob Jebb likes a pint or two, is it that detrimental to performance, my Dad used to say "Everything in moderartion" I agree with you on getting hung up on diets, getting out there and training seems more important.
    Hills and Guinness!

[quote=christopher leigh;191405]As for eating before a race: If doing your best is important then your last meal should be about 6hours previous, particularly if the race is short and fast. Digesting food whilst trying to run flat out, will make you a lot slower than you should be,as well as making you sick.

[quote]

I think I'd be starving and probably feeling lethatgic if I left it 6 hours before racing. I've found that 3 hours for me works best, but only a sensible-sized meal, say a couple of sandwiches and some fruit.
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry H Howgill View Post
    sensible-sized meal
    I think that's the key, if i'm faced with a large meal i'll eat it, cos i was brought up to always clear my plate, my Dad starved during WW2.
    Portion size is important. After a long run, i usually stuff/reward myself with huge portions, no wonder i never seem to lose weight
    Hills and Guinness!

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    Of course for those who want to shuffle round the Bob Graham, this isn't really a consideration.
    Just read back to the start of this thread Maybe i should just carry on regardless
    Hills and Guinness!

Quote Originally Posted by merrylegs View Post
    I think that's the key, if i'm faced with a large meal i'll eat it, cos i was brought up to always clear my plate, my Dad starved during WW2.
    Portion size is important. After a long run, i usually stuff/reward myself with huge portions, no wonder i never seem to lose weight
    There's a good prog. on the BBC at the mo about trying to fatten up some skinny bods.

I enjoy eating loads when I'm running lots.
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.