Thread: Starting issues

Starting issues

Hi guys, I've fairly recently started running lots and need a bit of advice. Basically, when I do my weekly long run I end up hurting lots.

I've got no idea how to warm up and am assuming/hoping that starting slow is enough. I've got no idea how to cool down and I live at the top of at least half a mile of fairly steep road which added to the whole daft determination to finish means my cool-down is non-existent. Today I got in after about 15 miles of feeling surprisingly fresh and when I tried to walk up the stairs to have a shower found I quite literally couldn't put my bodyweight on either leg and had to inelegantly shuffle around for a long time. My body had just given up once it had stopped moving. I've a feeling that 'cool down properly' is going to be what the doctor orders and I'll definitely try a bit harder next time.

Tiger Balm seems to stop the pain but there has to be a better way of recovering from, or better still, preventing it (and leaving me smelling a little more 'normal'). A friend suggested ice baths, is there anything less cold that would help (and would a simple cold bath be pointless)?

Thanks a lot,

Stephen

Re: Starting issues

I don't think its anything to do with cool downs - it sounds like you're running distances that your legs aren't yet used to.

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by steve456 View Post
    Hi guys, I've fairly recently started running lots and need a bit of advice. Basically, when I do my weekly long run I end up hurting lots.

I've got no idea how to warm up and am assuming/hoping that starting slow is enough. I've got no idea how to cool down and I live at the top of at least half a mile of fairly steep road which added to the whole daft determination to finish means my cool-down is non-existent. Today I got in after about 15 miles of feeling surprisingly fresh and when I tried to walk up the stairs to have a shower found I quite literally couldn't put my bodyweight on either leg and had to inelegantly shuffle around for a long time. My body had just given up once it had stopped moving. I've a feeling that 'cool down properly' is going to be what the doctor orders and I'll definitely try a bit harder next time.

Tiger Balm seems to stop the pain but there has to be a better way of recovering from, or better still, preventing it (and leaving me smelling a little more 'normal'). A friend suggested ice baths, is there anything less cold that would help (and would a simple cold bath be pointless)?

Thanks a lot,

Stephen

the harworth hobbler swears by cold water and ice and it seems to work for him, i also use this method, hosepipe, pond , stream , but ive yet to fill my wheelie bin yet
    i think your overdoing it
    what are you doing 15miles for ??????????

Thanks guys, I'll try and build up a bit less quickly. Previous longest was only around 10 miles with 7-8-ish miles being an every-other-day run.

I'm training for the HPM 2008 (I'm in the High Peak Club so we get two gaurunteed teams for doing the organising). I'm pretty fit, just feel I need to build up the milage a bit. It's a bit frustrating, I don't struggle with the running, it's only the aftermath that is bothering me; whenever I increase my milage I'm pretty much broken for a day or so.

10% week on week mileage increase is the recommended amount to prevent injury etc. I've done 50% for a couple of weeks when starting at a low base but it high risk and not something I'd repeat again.

My team was one of the 58 rejected

long ago, when I did a lot more miles than I manage these days, I found Arnica tablets helped recocvery after long runs. Even if they don't work, they won't do you any harm!

Thanks guys.

Sorry to hear about your team, it's a shame that there seem to be so few places actually contested.