Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 101 uses for a mobile!

Re: 101 uses for a mobile!

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    But even if you can't get an O2 signal you will still be able to make emergency calls using 999 or 112 provided another network has coverage. You just won't be able to phone any other ponies to ask for directions .
    I'm 99% certain that this is a popular fallacy. In the rest of the EU (and probably the world for all I know) this *does* work but not in the UK. It's all to do with roaming agreements between mobile companies (which don't exist in the UK).

Have a look at this thread. http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/s....php?p=1862383

I'm sure a definitive answer is available somewhere on the net but I can't be bothered finding it at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Hickman View Post
    Hello Andy - I'm one of hose who doesn't own a mobile out of deliberate choice. I'm also quite willing to borrow one for the race. However, I've already sent my entry off without filling in the mobile number part of the form; is this going to be a problem?

Cheers - Raymond

p.s. if you can't give me an answer could you point me towards someone who could?
    Hi Raymond- no problem, you will be asked for it at the registration in the village hall on race day.
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by AndyJ View Post
    I am heading up the organizing of the skyline racefor Dark Peak. I am also a member of the local mountain rescue team.
    I know from years of experience, that having a mobile at the scene of an incident before MR or others emergency services can attend makes a massive difference, enabling the incident to be dealt with quickly and efficiently.
    The nanny state.

You could fit all runners with movement and position transmitters and then go and seach for anybody who is stationary for a period of over two minutes.... just in case they are unconsious. This would also save valuable minutes.
    Last edited by XRunner; 20-12-2007 at 11:28 PM.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Chris

One or two of you have come close to saying it.

Mobile phones in fell races. Bollocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    One or two of you have come close to saying it.

Mobile phones in fell races. Bollocks.
    Organisers of fell races take responsibilty and make decisions concerning the welfare of those who take part in their events.
    I have made it perfecly clear above my reasoning behind this move.

One other decision I have made is that you/xrunner and anyone else who do not like this decision are not welcome at the skyline.

One other decision I have made is that you/xrunner and anyone else who do not like this decision are not welcome at the skyline.
    Blimey is it me or is that a massive over reaction? See the funny and ironic side for chuffs sake.

david

It's my ball and I'm taking it home, so there!

david

Quote Originally Posted by runningfool View Post
    I'm 99% certain that this is a popular fallacy. In the rest of the EU (and probably the world for all I know) this *does* work but not in the UK. It's all to do with roaming agreements between mobile companies (which don't exist in the UK).
    That's very interesting. I based my comment on a little bit of knowledge of the GSM specification, the fact that I know it works in other European countries and some (perhaps erroneous) information I got from O2 10 years or so ago when I first signed up with them. There is certainly much on that discussion forum and others to suggest that you are correct and I am wrong but I can't find a definitive answer from any of the network operators. Perhaps they are too ashamed to admit what they have done?

If it is the case that emergency calls don't work across networks then I suggest that carrying a mobile phone in a race will be of dubious value for many of us, unless race organisers are going to start specifying which mobile network we must be using for their particular race .

Master and MR

a phone would have been no good last year as i wouldnt have been able to press the buttons my hands was that numb

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Blimey is it me or is that a massive over reaction? See the funny and ironic side for chuffs sake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    there is no funny or ironic side to it.
    the fact is that i and others spend a lot of time organizing these events and it gets annoying when all others can do is make negative comments.